Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Weekend in Baltimore....Yes There was Some Baseball

Friday, October 2nd to Sunday October 4th, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland

Random.....yeah I know, everything is random to me.

Well once Vanessa left you would think that I would want to catch up on some much needed sleep. However instead I hopped on a train and headed to Baltimore. It was the final weekend of the baseball regular season, the Jays were in town so I figured I would head there. The train ride as usual was uneventful except for the fact it was a little bit late but once on board I was able to sleep my way to Baltimore arriving just after 2300 (11pm). Of course I knew I needed to sleep on the train because I knew I would not be heading to bed once I got to the hotel. I was right. I had just enough time to shower and change and then I was out the door.


Yes, I do know a few people in Baltimore still but I was not planning on meeting up with any of them until Saturday and/or Sunday. Another friend of mine was in town (he kind of travels where the team goes....I met him on my last trip to Baltimore to watch some baseball) so I headed out with him and although I will not mention names, a couple players may have been along for the ride as well.

Eventually the clubs closed and I got to go to sleep (ahhhh sweet sleep.......so good!!!). After sleeping in on Saturday, (did I mention how nice it was), I headed off to see some more of Baltimore. I really had no plan and the weather was much nicer than it was suppose to be so I wandered a little. I found my way to the World Famous Lexington Market.

Really unless you are looking for food there is no reason to go there and I am not sure why it is world famous but I did find the Chocolate Festival (and I mean the food, not the men). I found myself some yummy cookies. They hit the spot.

My usual view of the Inner Harbour. It was another nice weekend in Baltimore.

I then made my way to the far side of the Inner Harbour, where I actually have never been before (weird I know). There I found an excellent discovery, The American Visionary Art Museum. Now I want to say that I had looked into this place when I lived in Baltimore, but never made it there and had actually forgotten all about it. I just kind of noticed a weird building wandered down and discovered it. What a great place. I love wandering. I find such neat places sometimes.

Looking across the Inner Harbour from Federal Hill......on the opposite side to where I normally hang out.

From their website, visionary art as defined for the purposes of the American Visionary Art Museum refers to "art produced by self-taught individuals, usually without formal training, whose works arise from an innate personal vision that revels foremost in the creative act itself." In short, visionary art begins by listening to the inner voices of the soul, and often may not even be thought of as 'art' by its creator. It really is some neat stuff and the building itself is a part of the whole exhibit. Check it out: http://www.avam.org/ Of course I couldn't take pictures inside but I got a few from the outside.

A few of the pieces outside the museum. It was actually the giant bird nest on the side of the building that first drew my attention.

A few of the other pieces of art outside the museum. It really is worth checking out.

Anyway, I did come here for some baseball so I did head to the game Saturday night. You probably don't need to guess that the Jays lost. They have a perfect losing record when I attend the game. Scott Richmond of West Vancouver pitched the game and unfortunately did not pitch that well but I did sit with his family and they were really nice.

Me at one of my favourite ball parks. This was taken by one of my favourite ushers....Cliff.

Apparently they really love baseball.....or just needed a cheap wedding.

After the game, well I had to go out dancing with some people, once again no names will be mentioned but we did hit up my favourite Baltimore night spot, The Latin Palace. As usual it was a great time. I even ran into my other good friend, Catharine (refer to the John Legend concert) there. Ahhhh, the Latin Palace....always a good time.

My new friend Courtney. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the gentlemen we were with so we took pictures with each other.

Sunday morning I met up with my friend John. I worked with him at Johns Hopkins. Since that time he has permanently relocated to Baltimore (he was a travel nurse like me at the time) so we had a chance to grab some lunch and then head to the game. Once again we lost.....and it was not in a nice fashion, which probably just sums up the Jays' season. Let's hope next year goes a little better.

Here John and I are at the game. John attended a game in Washington with Dad and I last summer. He is originally from Boston and is actually a Red Sox fan.....but I don't hold that against him.

Overall it was a great weekend. Totally worth the train trip down. Almost makes me sad to know that baseball season is almost over.......and so is the summer. Here's looking forward to next season.

Julie

No comments: