Sunday, May 30, 2010
I have been working in the US for around 4.5 years......and still have no idea when all their holidays are. It was almost the weekend before I realized that it was the long weekend here in the US (May long in America is a week later than May long in Canada). Anyway, it wasn't a long weekend for me but I still took some time to enjoy the holiday. With my previous closed and locked out experience at Thacher park I decided that I would take a bit of a drive to find some hiking. Some of the girls at work suggested I head to the Adirondacks (the local mountain range). The Adirondacks have a great website that lists everything there is to do in the area.....including all the hiking trails.
I didn't want to drive too far for my weekend hike so I took a look at a few trails that were within about an hour and a half from Albany. I then narrowed it down to one hike that was a "moderate" hike and one that was a "difficult" hike. I smartly chose the moderate hike......because in my opinion "moderate" is a relative term.
Like the sign says.......The Trail head. I did go blowing by it at first but what would a road trip with me be without having to turn around at least once.
I actually headed out pretty earlier and I am glad I did as it got a lot warmer as the day went on and it turned out the trail actually got quite busy. The parking lot was spilling out on the road by the time I got back down.
Not sure how that little sport utility is getting out. Hopefully they are traveling with the vehicles who are blocking him in. Very happy I didn't run into this problem and I was parked in a non-blockable spot.
The trail markers I was following. It actually was really important to watch for them because at some points I wasn't really sure what was trail and what was mountain.
That's 3.1 miles to the summit. (that's just under 5 kilometers). So yes, 5 kilometers straight up and then 5 kilometres back down. 10 kilometers in all.......but once I got back down, actually felt pretty good.
Part of the trail.......that still looks like a trail.
I've only just started at this point. That's why I look so happy.
Also part of the trail. I wasn't sure at first because that rock in the centre.......is straight up. You actually have to go off trail to get up around it.
Eventually I made it to the top where I could rest and relax and enjoy the view.......and it was a great view.
Still looking happy because I made it to the top......and it was all down hill from here.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment