Coral View Resort, Tavewa Island, Fiji
I could stare at this for days and days and days.............
Monday was a very relaxed day. It started with a boat trip over to another island to do some swimming….. in some caves. It was interesting. The first cave was ok but I some slight issues getting in to the second cave. It was a closed cave that you had to swim under water to get to. Now when we were given instructions as to how to get in I heard the nice man say “you will be under water for 45 seconds”. That seemed long to me but no one else seemed too bothered so I gave it a try. I was the first one through and the first one to get an inch in, turn around and go back. I tried several times but the dark and the underwater and the cramped space just wouldn’t let me go. So a few other people went in and then when I was talking to people they said that the tunnel was really short and lasted about 5 seconds. Turns out the nice man had said “you’ll be under water FOR 5 seconds”. That made more sense and so I gave it a try again…..this time with a complete escort. Made it through with no problems what so ever.Come on.....it's funny.
Looking mildly happy inside the cave. The second cave was too dark to take pictures in and I was too busy being totally unsure about the fact I was there to want to take pictures of anything anyways.
It was very dark on the far side of the cave and there wasn’t much to look at. We were also told some stories about cannibals, snakes, eels and red snappers that also live in the caves. Those made me not want to be there for very long. Eventually we came out again. Much easier to swim out as you could follow the light. Very glad I did it.Annika (from Germany) and Lucie (from France).
One of our lovely boat captains. These guys are great. They get us all over the place in those little boats.....just like taxis If you don't like boats.....don't go to Fiji.
The rest of the day was spent……doing nothing. I hopped back in the water for a quick snorkel and then I relaxed in the sun talking to some people and taking afternoon tea. This is the life I tell you. I can’t imagine ever going back to work.How could you not hop back in the water when you know this is what awaits you.
This was the view from the door of my dorm. So nice. It was a shame to have to leave...but more of Fiji to see.
Tuesday August 3rd, 2010Arrival at Korovue Resort, Naviti Island, Fiji
It always seems sunnier at the Blue Lagoon. Today I made a visit to one of the most famous places in Fiji…..The Blue Lagoon. I could see it from across the water from Coral View Resort but it was a long swim. I was lucky enough to have enough people also want to go, paid 15 FJD and made my way over there. All I can say is WOW! The water is so blue and so clear. At first I didn’t see any fish but soon enough I swam far enough to find a whole lot of little fish and big fish and blue fish and yellow fish and well you get the point. I wish I had been able to stay for ever but I could only stay an hour or so. I had to get back to my Island in time for lunch and to catch the Flyer to my next resort.
The Blue Lagoon. So pretty. So peaceful.
See I really was there. Now I just need to watch the movie.
Snorkel with me for a few seconds will you.
Haha....falling coconuts at The Blue Lagoon.
For my second resort I was to stay one night at Korovue Resort (not to be confused with Coral View which I just left). It was quite different from the other one and I must say I did not like it as much. The dorm rooms were bigger……more beds, less space. New group of people with a few familiar faces (I was instantly reunited with Annika). The food…..not as good as Coral View but we did have some very good evening entertainment.A lone fisherman off Honeymoon Beach.
The beach was about a 15 minute walk through the woods, up a hill, down a hill and then finally you hit Honeymoon Beach (not sure why they call it that). Once you got there it was worth it but it was a shame that some great sand and snorkelling was not closer. But really, if that is the biggest complaint I have.....that I have to walk to the beach......I think I'm doing pretty good.
Our nightime entertainment......The Bula Boys. They were good fun. I probably should have mentioned earlier that "Bula" means "Hello/Welcome". If you go to Fiji "Bula" is one of 2 words you will learn and use on a regular basis. The other is "vinaka" or "vinaka vake levu" which means "thank-you" and "thank-you very much". Knowing "Bula Vinaka" is also helpful. That is a "warm" hello. What I should have learned is "Nataune" which means "Is it kava time?" but we will discuss that more later.
England's version of a Bula Boy? Ok maybe not, but Luke did try.
This little guy offered us some entertainment as well. I almost killed him with my beer bottle but he stuck around.
Here he is......eyeing Luke's beer.
And success. He was really cute......and that's hard for me to say. Not usually a fan of small lizards but even I have to appreciate all his efforts......Fiji bitter is pretty good beer.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010Travel to Kuata Resort, Kuata Island, Fiji
Had to write in the sand at least once.
Last night ended a little late so today started a little late as well. But I did get up in plenty of time to get some pancakes, walk back to honeymoon beach, do some snorkelling, walk back to the resort, eat lunch, fall asleep in a hammock and then wake up just in time to hop on the Flyer and arrive at Kuata Resort (This is the life I tell you!!!).Honeymoon Beach. It was a very nice spot.
Being good wearing my hat. Everyday I got a little bit darker and darker and darker. Loving my new tan.
Once I got to Kuata, there was a bit of a reunion as I met back up with Scott, Alex, Lucie and Nina who I met at Coral View. However, I had to say goodbye to Luke, Robbie and Annika.....who I will hopefully meet again (don't worry, we're now facebook friends). Oh and I have now met Franzie, Josie, Diana and Ben......and a few more Fijians.So far I am happy that the dorm I am in does not have bunk beds……I almost feel like a grown-up again. But there are Geckos on the ceiling and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Yes, they eat the bugs….but they poop on you so not sure if it is a trade off or not. They also make funny noises when they talk to each other.
Our cute little dorm room. Yes, it is still co-ed but just love not having a bed above my head.
Some of the locals.
The beautiful, beautiful beach at Kuata Resort.. The island across the way is another resort. This is where many people have I met including Robbie and Luke stayed.
Kuata is a great place. Most certainly my favourite, even after just one night. The food, and the people and the atmosphere. It was upon arrival here that many Fijians were confused as to where I was from. With my increasing tan, I look increasingly Fijian. Today I actually had a lady look at me sideways when I told her I was from Canada and say "Really......you're sure you're not Fijian?" I am starting to wonder myself.Tonight I also officially arrived in Fiji. It is said that if you go to Fiji and don't try kava then you haven't really been to Fiji. So I tried it and I liked it so I had some more. Kava is a traditional drink that you can essentially compare to muddy water. It is made from a root that is grown for 6 to 7 years, pounded down and then minced into powder. It is then mixed with water with the use of a special cloth bag. It doesn't particularly taste like anything....except muddy water. It kind of makes your mouth numb when you first drink it. As you drink more of it, you will find that it actually makes you........well a little drunk. Locals will often drink kava the same way we drink beer or wine.
Kuata's Bula Boys. Not as shirtless but just as fun.
Eventually another fun day in Fiji came to an end. My next day would be one of my busiest yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment