Saturday, February 18th to Wednesday, February 23, 2011
It's weird to have people I know come visit me in Darwin, since I don't actually know that many people in Australia (and close to half of those I do know live in my apartment). But last weekend that exact thing happened. Annika (a girl from Germany who has been living in Sydney who I met in Fiji) was passing through Darwin as she travels her way around the rest of Australia (so I guess she wasn't here just to visit me but that's ok). She had just made the long bus ride up from Alice Springs and had a couple day stopover here in Darwin before heading out to Kakadu National Park. It worked out perfectly for us to catch up over a few drinks and a couple meals.
I was very happy that Carlos (the cyclone......remember) was long gone and her bus was able to make it to Darwin. She had travelled from Alice Springs (The Red Centre........home to Ayers Rock.....don't worry you will see pictures soon) and there really isn't much between Alice Spring and Darwin (seriously....take a look at the map......there's nothing) so she was happy to see civilisation again. She wasn't happy with the heat and humidity (it was nice to not be the only one complaining about it.....although I have obviously adapted because I didn't find it that bad).
During low tide many people head to the rocks to do some fishing. This young man is looking for little fish that he can use for live bait.
Debi giving everyone a little show on the rocks.
This is Annika. She trying to convince a little hermit crab to leave his current home so she can have it. He was living in a very pretty shell. He apparently thought so too because he wouldn't move out.
Debi and Scott out on the rocks.
Annika and I hanging out. You will be happy to know that even with just a little bit of sun, we both got a little sunburnt.
We eventually ended up at The Ski Club where we met up with Kyle and Zoe for a few drinks, some live music and a sunset.
Even the Ski Club suffered some damage at the hand of Cyclone Carlos. This was one of the big trees that fell over at the club and the crushed little structure in the background.......usually the stage. It's going to have to be rebuilt.
The sunset......a little cloudy but considering we barely saw the sun for about a week, I'll take it.
Annika headed to Kakadu the next morning (super early too) for a couple days. I met back up with her on Wednesday for some some dinner before she headed off to Cairns to do some diving on The Great Barrier Reef and some more fun. We are just going to miss each other in March when she returns to Sydney.....I will have just left Sydney. I guess our next reunion will have to be in Germany.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment