Sunday, July 10th and Monday, July 11th, 2011
After our fireside sing-song and marshmallow roast Saturday night (I still can't believe I didn't take a single picture), we woke up and headed off to our final destination, Broome. Broome is a very popular beach destination along the west coast especially this time of year when it's warm but not gross humid yet. Debi and Scott were not really fans of the place when they were there but I was delaying judgement until I got there.
Of course like everyday, we made a few stops for food and what not, but for the most part, I think all of us were over it and ready for the trip to be done ( I know I was).
A look down 80 Mile Beach. Looked so nice and the water inviting however it is not recommended you hop in the water because there are a whole lot of sharks in the area. It is a popular spot for fishermen who enjoy fishing right off the beach. Unfortunately this leads to an increase in hurt and bleeding fish in the water and they attract a lot of sharks.
Ok, so on closer inspection the water didn't look that inviting so it's ok that we couldn't swim.
Is it just me or are there lounge chairs in the Coast watch cage? Mickey and I agreed that this kind of meant they were a little too relaxed and probably wouldn't do a very good job of watching us.
One more road side Roadhouse stop.....you know, for the road.
The most interesting sight at any Roadhouse thus far.......peacocks. Just hanging out and strutting around.
Eventually we made it to Broome and all made our separate ways to different accommodations. Like many on the tour, I was flying out the next day but one more night meant a few drinks with some of the group. I met up with Mickey and then her and I made the 15 minute walk (ok what we were told was a 15 minute walk but what actually turned into an hour walk) from the CBD to meet up with Candice and Laura at a pub out by Cable Beach. Unfortunately instead of a nice live band we were subjected (and yes that is the word I want to use) to a round of the Miss Cable Beach competition. And yes it was just as horrible was you can imagine but the beer was cold so that's ok.
After 10 days of sleeping in backpacker accommodation and a swag on the ground, you have to know I enjoyed my king sized bed that night.
Monday July 11th, 2011
Monday I had to head back to Darwin but my flight didn't leave until 1415 (2:15pm) so I had a few hours to check out what Broome had to offer. Didn't really need much more than those few hours.
One of the things you will find along the coastline. One of the good things about Broome, there is water, and you can swim in it. No saltwater crocs here.
Like a little tropical paradise, with small little tourist trap stores and way too many backpackers.
One of the historical landmarks I found. This is the Old Broome Lock-up. It was built in 1894. It was part of the precinct where you also would have found the Police Station and Courthouse. The Old Broome Lock-up was used mostly to hold prisoners awaiting trial and those awaiting deportation after being found guilty of serious offences. It was also used to house Aboriginal prisoners who absconded from "work contracts" on local cattle stations or pearling luggers. Aboriginals who were held here were most commonly necked chained to each other for their entire sentence. The use of neck chains continued at the Broome lock-up well into the 1950's.
A few of the artifacts that you can find on display. Now it mostly houses a small art gallery that displays the works of local artists.
Out front of the lock-up you will find this Boab tree. It was planted in 1897 to celebrate the birth of the Police Inspector's son. It grows a decent sized fruit on it, which local artist will paint. Think Christmas balls. You can find various species of these trees throughout the world and some are estimated to be thousands of years old but their wood does not produce annual growth rings like other trees so these are just estimates.
My walk was actually taking me back to the YHA to meet up with Mickey. We thought we would check out Cable Beach in the day time. I wasn't really planning on swimming but once I got there I just couldn't help but hop in the water.
A look at Cable Beach. Nicely uncrowded on this Monday. I do have to note that as Mickey and I were walking here we saw something we had not seen anywhere else on this trip......a snake. I had a small panic attack but not to worry.....Mickey protected me. She plays rugby.....she's strong.
The water was a little bit colder than either of us expected........
........but once you got in it was very nice.
Eventually I had to make my way to the airport. Funny story, I almost missed my flight because the cab I called to come get me didn't come at first. The hotel had to make 3 more calls and 2 other companies before someone came. Not sure why I was worried......my flight of course was delayed so it turns out I had plenty of time.
And with that my trip to Western Australia ended. Back in Darwin, the countdown to my departure from Australia was set to begin.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment