Monday, February 27, 2012

CLOSE THE WINDOWS

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Saturday, February 25, 2012


Good thing we don't actually open them....that's what Air conditioning is for...or else I would have had a heck of a mess to clean up today. Like there isn't enough sand in everything as it is. I experienced my first real sand storm today. It was pretty crazy. I didn't really notice it at first (because I was inside my house and taking a nap) but I could hear the wind across the roof and then a weird glow coming in the windows. When I looked outside, I could hardly see across the street and the sky was the strangest hue of orange I had ever seen. It kind looked like the sky was on fire. I clearly watch too much Sci-fi because I was thinking alien invasion or something like that.

Do not adjust your screen. This is the actual colour it was.

You can see that it is dark enough that the street lights came on. I took this at around 1530 (3:30pm) so it is well before sunset.

Shortly after this the sky cleared up.....a bit. As in it became less orange but the sand was still flying. The doors at the hospital were mostly shut and security was not letting too many people out. Anyone who did leave was wearing surgical masks and sunglasses. I enjoyed the scene from my living room.

It finally did clear up a few hours later and we were treated to something else I haven't seen since I got here....rain. Not just a little rain but a torrential down pour. It didn't last long but even the Wet Season in Darwin would have been impressed with the amount of water that fell in a short period of time.

Cross a few more things off my "Saudi Firsts" list.

Julie

No comments: