Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rocking the CAPSA

Eskan (Just outside Riyadh), Saudi Arabia
Thursday, March 1st, 2012


One the biggest parties of the year at Eskan is finally upon us. Lucky for me I have people out there (well more correctly my room mate has a person out there and I'm her people) so I got a ticket. A very highly sought after ticket I might add. I originally had two but my friend had to work so some other lucky girl got to use it.

I know I have mentioned Eskan before. To remind us all it is a US Military instillation....home to the Army and Air Force (who don't really seem to get along by the way) as well as many civilians. It has been here since about 1990 (well maybe before that) when it became the home base for the US Air Force and Army during the build up of Operation Desert Shield. Since then continued operations in the Middle East (Desert Storm, Vigilant Warrior, Southern Watch to name a few.... funny how I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about) has seen many a serviceman and woman billeted at Eskan. In 2003 most of the US troops were redeployed to Qatar but about 500 remain.


Their job? Well as I've been told, what they do and what their job is are 2 very different things (I never really did get a straight answer). I am sure we are all well aware of the mutual agreements between the US and Saudi Arabia. Saudi needs American protection and American needs Saudi oil. It's a win win situation. It seems the guys do a lot of.....ummmm well I know they do some.........hmmmm, I guess mostly they.....well they spend a bunch of time driving around in the desert. I think it is mainly a diplomatic post which involves some teaching and sharing of ideas and what not. Some guys seem to love it here. Others really hate it. Others still are mostly indifferent and take it for what it is. Either way, they do throw some great parties.


And let's get back to the party. I was first invited to this event a week or so after I got here. I quickly made sure I had the weekend off (which I did) and then patiently waited. The one rule is that you had to come in traditional Saudi dress. For men that meant a thawb (or thobe) and ghutra with agal (that's the head scarf with black ring). For women....no this didn't mean abayas but it did mean Saudi fancy dresses. They do exist and there are many stores that sell traditional dresses. Of course that meant Catharine and I had to go shopping (such a chore. I know you all feel sorry for us). Not only did we find dresses but we found all the necessary accessories as well.

A quick look at Cath and I before heading out. Yes I am wearing a tiara. I went Saudi Princess.

Getting through security on a day like this is a pretty important task. It was decided that we needed to make sure we arrived early because there would be tons of people coming in. It normally takes about 30 minutes to get all the way through. Today (even at 1430 when we were there) it took a little bit longer but it's all part of the deal. Eskan is a very secure place. There are many gates and people and scans you must go through. Plus someone who works there has to sign you in. It is irritating but is must be done.

I won't bore you with the details of the nap, snack and pre-party drinking that took place before the party but eventually we made it there. We missed out on the free champagne (well Catharine managed to get the last glass) but we certainly didn't miss out on the food, the music or the fun. Let's take a look shall we.

The Desert Rose Tent all dressed up for the night.

The centre piece at our table. We didn't get to take it home.

A look inside the tent. Last year they apparently had to eat on the floor. This year we upgraded to tables and chairs.

Some of the traditional entertainment we got to enjoy during dinner. I probably should have taken a picture of dinner. Believe me it was FANTASTIC. Buffet style......everything you could imagine. And totally Saudi traditional.

A little video of the dinner music and the inside of the tent.

Our parting gifts. The camels were for the girls (so Cath and I got to take home twins) and the lamp for the boys (so Jeff got that one).

I am probably breaking the Wiki-Leaks Guidance by posting this picture (this was on the wall of an office I visited during the party). I think it's funny. For a moment I was reminded that I was in fact on an active US Military Instillation. Moments later I went back to the party and forgot again.

Catharine and Jeff.  Jeff is modelling a traditional winter thobe. In the summer the men tend to wear white thobes.

This is Nate.....also in the Army (I mentioned him in my post about the Edge of the World......he was my ride that trip). Nate is wearing a more traditional white thobe. You also get a good look at the giant ring I decided to wear at the party.

The outside area of the tent AKA: the smoking area. Many of the other places I've been smoking is allowed inside (like the embassies and what not)  but tonight the tent was totally smoke free.

A look at my entire outfit. I can happily say I didn't spill anything on it.

Cath and I after a few drinks and a little bit of dancing.

The party ended at midnight so at that time we all headed off. Cath and Jeff headed home, while I headed off with Nate and few other people to try to find the after party.

The car heading to the after party. Yes we squeezed a lot of people in however some of them were actually heading to the gate and heading home. The rest of us......off to the after party.

Turns out we couldn't find an after party so Nate and his room mate happily hosted one. Eventually I fell asleep (probably should have taken a longer nap) but it was one great party.

So CAPSA lived up to it's reputation for another year.

Until next year.

Julie

References: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/eskanvillage.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thawb http://www.saudinf.com/main/q031.htm

No comments: