Monday, May 28, 2012

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised......But It Will Be on Youtube

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

I posted this video on Facebook yesterday and then I remembered that my Facebook and Julie Style audiences are not totally the same and felt I should share this with as many people as possible. This was taken by a woman (on her cell phone) at a mall here in Riyadh.....that I happen to go to quite often. She filmed a recent encounter she had with the Mutawwa'a (religious police). Everyone is talking about her. Many of us have high hopes that more Saudi women will see this video and find the strength and courage to stand-up for themselves.

This video has gone viral online and there have been many comments being posted against the actions of this woman. She mentions the head of the Mutawwa'a in this video, who has been appointed by King Abdullah. He is suppose to be a moderate and the Mutawwa'a are not suppose to be allowed to harass women (or anyone). From my understanding she is totally correct when she says they are suppose to advise and then move on. I think there are some interesting times ahead in this country.

As much as I would love to say I can do something to change the treatment of women in Saudi, I know that the change has to come from Saudi women themselves. You can count on me however, to stand beside them when that day comes. I truly hope this is a start.

Julie

No comments: