Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Wheels on The Bus

Travel from Dubrovnik Croatia to Kotor Bay, Montenegro
Monday, June 25th, 2012

Today I left Croatia and headed to Montenegro. Always hard to leave a country you just recently discovered and love but I was excited t o check out another country I've never been to. I had ditched the car a few days ago which meant I was back to traveling by bus. It didn't take long for me to be thankful for being on the bus and not driving. There was a lot of construction along the highway and certainly sections that looked less like highway and more like back country gravel road. The bus was so much more relaxing.

Lucky for me the bus ride was not very long (2.5 hours) and it didn't actually start very early (1500....3pm) so I got to sleep in and enjoy the hotel for a few extra hours in the morning. The ticket was only about $5CAD as well so a really.......really cheap way to travel.

A final view of Dubrovnik before heading out of town. Certainly a place I could have spent a few more days in but as usual I had to be moving on.

A little bit of the Croatian country side. Montenegro looked very much the same as we crossed the border. You can see here that they are getting ready to add a few more lanes to the road. Sadly they are still a long way from finishing. Does this look familiar to anyone? Kind of looks like I could be home.
 
The duty free shop. It wasn't open. Actually it kind of looked like it hadn't been for quite sometime.

On the ferry. The bus took a short little 10 minute ferry ride........that cut out about 45 minutes of driving.
 
My Montenegro destination was Kotor Bay and the small town of Kotor. All the books say it is one of the most beautiful spots in the region. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site so it seemed like a good place to head. It was a short 5 minute walk from the bus station to the Old Town centre......which I promptly turned into a 20 minute walk by going left when I should have gone right, but I eventually made it to my hotel. After 3 nights in a 5 Star hotel in Dubrovnik I tried to find a place that wouldn't be a total let down. Hotel Vader right in the centre of Old Town Kotor was pretty much perfect.
 

My giant shower. Seriously, you could get like 10 people in it.....at the same time.

The view from my window. I know not much but seriously how much time was I going to spend there? Not a lot. But it is a great example once again of the little streets you find in the Old Town centres and I actually enjoyed taking a look out and seeing the people wandering by.

Yeah, I'm not sure my room and bed are big enough either. I mean is there something larger than king sized? Maybe there should be. It was a little rough but I tolerated it for 3 nights (that's a joke, this hotel was fantastic).
 
After getting settled, I headed out to grab some food and check out the town. It's a small place but plenty to see and do.
Sitting in one of the main squares enjoying the evening. That is the Church of St. Nicholas. Looks very pretty all lit up.
 
It was a pretty early night for me as I headed back to my hotel to enjoy my giant bed. Of course my few days in Montenegro had just begun so there was plenty more to do.
 
 Julie

No comments: