Monday, February 18th, 2013
Day #5 – Karanaga Camp to Barafu Camp
Time Started: 0915
Time Ended: 1300
Maximum elevation Reached: 4650 metres
Camp Elevation: 4650 metres
Total Distance Hiked: Approx: 3 kilometres
Total Distance Hiked: Approx: 3 kilometres
Taking advantage of some morning sunshine to dry out the sleeping bag. Cool air, warm bodies leads to a lot of condensation in the tent.
Today was a very short hiking day but a very important one. Today we
headed to base camp and made our final preps for the run for the summit. We
woke up to beautiful blue skies with a great view of the valley and towns below
and the surrounding mountains. The day started as usual with Frankie’s gentle
wake up call followed by breakfast (the usual suspects and I'm still having troubles
eating breakfast this early).
Our crew getting breakfast cleaned up.
Such a pretty morning.
Today’s climb was pretty much all up hill…..no downhill portions on this day. I’m still pretty surprised with how good I feel. I was expecting some sign of altitude sickness (well I have been having some crazy dreams…..I blame the lack of oxygen) but no nausea or headaches thus far (knock on wood). I also expected to feel the cold a lot more. I guess I probably do but I think just being on the mountain makes you ignore it. I am pretty exhausted when I get to camp at night; I’ve been sleeping really good but other than that I’m generally feeling well.
More little rock statues. They are everywhere.
Taking a little breather.
Resting again. Just as important as the hiking.
A look at the trail we left behind.
There I go looking up again.
Base camp. A very small and crowded little area. On the right lower corner of this picture you can just make our Lola (wearing a black top) next to our tent.
Nothing like the sun lighting up the mountain.
Not where we're going but that little tent had a great view.
Yes there was lots of sleeping and eating today but it was important and necessary. The plan……leave base camp at 2330 tonight.
Day 5 in the books. The summit awaits.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment