Saturday, August 02, 2014

From Desert to Sea

Travel to Aqaba, Jordan,
Thursday, January 2nd, 2014

This morning we had a pretty early wake-up call......but this time it came with camels. And what could be better than a wake-up call with camels.

It was not a warm morning but so worth it. I love camels. They're awesome.

My view from my camel. I don't think he had a name. I just called him " Cutie".

Early morning sky.


A little video of that camel ride. I'm not saying they are the most comfortable thing to ride, but you make it work. Over the years of camel rides (I've had a couple) the locals have taught me some tricks.

A little chilly on those camels but still smiling.

The sun is up now. Made it a little bit warmer.


Look no hands. No I would not have tried this while they were moving. It's not a smooth ride.

Oh look at Cutie.......how cute is he?

Resting after his morning trek.....and still smiling.

Eventually we transferred from the camels to the jeeps and then back to our van and started the trek to Aqaba. It was only about an hour drive from Wadi Rum to Aqaba and I mostly used the time to nap. Once in Aqaba we had a totally free day so people did all kinds of different things. Chisoto, Sarah and I decided we would do some shopping, but not before a shower and some food. Turns out the best shawarma place in town was like a minute down the street from our hotel.......it was so good.

The view from my hotel room. A nice little city right on the Red Sea. If I had more time....and energy I would have gone to the beach.....but shopping was just about the pace I needed.

Found in one of the parks in the city. Lots of families around enjoying the day.

Later that night we headed out for dinner as a group at a really great restaurant in Aqaba. Obviously being on the Red Sea, seafood was on the menu. It was really good seafood too. I think I've mentioned that the food in Jordan is pretty top notch. Really enjoyed it. After dinner we headed to a local Irish Pub for a few drinks and to relax.

That's Steve presenting Ayman with a little gift from the group. He was a really great tour guide who made sure we enjoyed all that Jordan has to offer. Ayman's mother is Croatian so he also does tours in Croatia. Having visited Croatia, I can imagine Ayman would be a great tour guide there too.

Hard to believe that my trip to Jordan is almost over as we will head back to Amman tomorrow.

Julie

No comments: