
Well two days and about 200 pictures later Chicago is now one of my favourite cities. I hit all the major tourist attractions (The Sears Tower, Navy Pier, a trolley tour, a boat tour, etc.). Of course Wrigley Field was the biggest and most important (that is where Major League Baseball’s Chicago Cubs play for those of you who aren’t quite sure). I must say the field is even more amazing to see in person than I ever imagined it could be. Next time the trip will of course include a game but there is no way that mom would have even remotely appreciated how awesome it would be to attend a game there so I skipped that this time around. Mom certainly enjoyed all the architecture though (as did I). One thing I learned in Chicago is that every thing they build is either the first or the tallest or the most beautiful or simply the best. Although the Sears Tower is not actually still the tallest building in the world many of the locals are just not quite ready to give up the title. The building across the street from the Sears Tower is the tallest concrete reinforced building in the world (or so they claim). The Tribune Tower was built to be the most beautiful sky scraper in the world. The only larger building (by square footage) in the US than The Merchandise Mart is the Pentagon (it is also the only building in the US to have its own zip code), and well you get point. Oh and it seems that every building or park or statue etc. has played some part in one movie or another. Did not have much of a chance to get to any jazz or blues clubs (although there are a billion of those and most of them world famous) or anything like that but did indulge in some wonderful deep dish pizza.
In short Chicago is a beautiful city and I will definitely be trying to get back there to see a few more things (and maybe a baseball game or two) however there are more cities and more sights to see (Baltimore, Washington DC, The Liberty Bell just to name a few) but we shall see what the coming months bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment