Thursday, November 02, 2006

Independence Hall







As I have said before and will certainly say again there is no shortage of history in this area of the US and Philadelphia has more than its fair share of it. In ways it is really weird to be visiting these places and standing in the rooms where some of the most important moments in all of US history took place. I have had similar experiences in Canada during earlier visits to Charlottetown (of course the birthplace of confederation and one of Canada’s most significant historical locations) but at 10 years old never appreciated it. I do now and I will definitely have to plan a trip back there now that I am older. Anyway, back to where I was standing in important places. I must say for a very important place Independence Hall is pretty plain but I guess that’s what it was like 200 years ago when it was built. The building was not built very well and has been falling apart but is constantly being restored. I guess what is there is really just a shell of the original building and it is cool to see none the less. Groups of about 25-50 people are escorted through the building but before are even allows in the main hall we are read all the rules which include no food, drinks or chewing gum allowed, no leaving the group and don’t touch anything. While inside we are told all the history you could possibly want (right down to how philosophy is related to democracy and all that stuff) You are given time to take pictures but you have to do it quick because they want you out so they can get a few more people in. Lots of people visit this place and they do not want to deny anyone their chance to experience the history. I had to go through the security check point 30 minutes before my tour started. You cannot even walk on the same side of the street. If you try security guards show up from what seems like nowhere to escort you back across the street (Don’t worry it was not me so I won’t be deported but I watched it happen to some other people). Anyone who saw the Nicolas Cage movie “National Treasure”, I assure you there is no way you could get up into the tower and if you tried to remove a brick from the wall I am pretty sure there are snipers who would take you out. (If you haven’t seen the movie you won’t know what I am talking about so I suggest you rent it…it was pretty good). Anyway, I totally suggest anyone who visits Philly take the time to see the hall. Even with all the security hassles and all the rules it is worth it just to be there.

Julie

No comments: