Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ok so my time in Connecticut has not just been history and architecture and bus tours and baseball.... I recently did a little hiking too. I convinced Jerry (from work) to come hiking with me. I found this nice place called Sleeping Giant Park. Jerry who has lived in the New Haven area MUCH longer than I have had never heard of it so we explored it for the first time together.

Jerry and I on the hike up



We decided to take the easy trail on the way up.

Look how nice and easy this looks

(because that seemed to be the easiest to find). It was very nice and easy and simple to follow and lead us up to the tower. The tower gave us a great view. Totally worth the walk up.

Downtown New Haven from the top of the tower. Apparently this tower use to be used as a look out during the civil war because you can see a long way in all four directions (ok just a little bit of history)

The tower

We met some very nice ladies up there who hike the area often and they directed us to a much more adventurous trail for the way down. Well, part of the trail went down but a whole lot of it went up first.

See this looks more adventurous and this was the route DOWN

This is also on the route down....the path really could not make up its mind

It took us to another great view (most of which I did not take in because I am not really good with heights and there was a lot of nothing but sharp rocks below us.

We met this little guy along the way. I was guesstimating that he was 2 inches long but really that could just be me figuring that he must be that big because he was huge.....and to think Jerry wanted me to pick it up....boys!!

I will certainly try to get back there a few more times this summer or perhaps find a few other trails (I have been told there is some good hiking in the area.)
Julie

No comments: