Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ok, just a little more baseball

So I am hanging out in a hotel room in Portland Maine, preparing to catch a ferry to Nova Scotia in the morning so I thought I should take this opportunity to update my blog.



View of Citizens Bank Park from my hotel room in Philly


So yes I have been back to a few more ball games. I took the quick 3 hour trip back to Philadelphia and caught a couple interleague games between the Blue Jays and the Phillies.
Of course these 2 teams don't play very often (because they are in different leagues) but they have a good history because it was the Phillies the Jays beat in 1993 to win thier second straight World Series title. I was not making friends in the hotel when I told people I was a Jays fan and mentioned Joe Carter's name (of course he won the final game by hitting a home run and Phillies fans are still not over it.) I am glad that I did not wear my Blue Jays jersey (mainly I couldn't because it was still in my closet in Calgary and I won't actually have it until next week when Dad brings it to me) because it has Joe's name and number on the back and I am sure I would have been pelted with beer and stuff.




The random on field security guy (John) who had to have a picture with me (He thought I was cute or something)



Me hanging out in my front row seat



They say Philadelphia sports fans are as tough as they come...even on thier own players. I have to agree. They booed a fan during the game because he didn't catch a foul ball (it bounced out of his hands). You can imagine how they treated thier pitchers when they gave up 13 runs to the Jays, including a grand slam to Matt Stairs. Game One saturday night was a really fun 13-2 win for the Jays. I got really great seats too, right in the first row down the 3rd baseline.


A little on field action


Game 2 sunday afternoon, I sat in the same section just up a few rows and got a great suntan. The Jays lost 5-3 but they got those 3 runs on homeruns in the top of the 8th so it got pretty exciting there for a while (especially when my boy Frank Thomas pitch hit with one on....but he struck out but that's ok....he can't hit them all out).




The Philly Fanatic.....apparently the oldest mascot around and certainly one of the best.

I then took in a game in at Shea Stadium in New York. This is the home of the New York Mets of the National League. Mark (another nurse from work) who is a big ball fan (although he likes the Yankees but I will let that go for now since the Jays are ahead of them in the standings) came along as well.

Mark and I hanging out at the game

It was a great afternoon for ball and I got to see my favourite former Blue Jays (Carlos Delgado) who now plays for the Mets, hit a very nice homerun. Met fans are very interesting, certainly different than at any other stadium (maybe it was just the accent) but it was a great atmosphere for baseball. The stadium is old but it is in the process of being replaced...they are building a new ball park right next door. The Mets won which was fun.....oh and we got free Mets hats.

My boy Carlos at first base (#21)

Me at Shea

I still have a trip planned to see Yankee Stadium in July so my baseball summer is not over yet.

Julie

No comments: