Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My trip home to Canada: Stop #1

October 27th to 30th - Regina Saskatchewan

The Saskatchewan Legislative Building

So my arrival in Regina was relatively uneventful. I am not going to lie. I did find it a little bit cold when I got off the plane (it had been very warm when I left Virginia…even with all the rain) but the weather actually cooperated and it turned out to be quite warm.

Mom and I at the airport in Regina. A reunion almost 14 months in the making.

Of course the reason for the trip to Regina was to attend my brother’s graduation from Depot (that’s the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) Training Academy for those of you who weren’t sure). It was a very exciting weekend for our family. It seems like October 29th, 2007 has been about 10 years in the making. I cannot imagine Steve being anything but a cop. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to follow some vehicle on the highway so Steve could write down a license plate number because some driver was doing something stupid. Now Steve gets to do that for real and I know he will be great. For those of you who don't know, Dad has been in the force for just over 37 years now so it made the weekend extra special since he was involved in many if the ceremonies. The highlight was when Dad got to present Steve with his badge.

Me with the Mountie Moose at the RCMP Heritage Centre

The list of those who attended was quite impressive. Let’s see there was Me, Debi, Mom and Dad, Heather, Heather’s parents, Gramma, Auntie Gayle, Uncle Bill, Stacey, Leonard and of course Steve.

Before we actually got to Steve’s graduation we had a few days to kill. Saturday we had an amazing dinner (Alberta beef baby, oh how I have missed that) with the whole family, and Heather’s family and a few other recruits and their families. Oh and I have to mention appearances by the Little Mosque on the Prairie crew and a few other Canadian TV personalities including everyone’s favourite George Stroumboulopoulos (unless you are from Canada and watch CBC you will have no idea who I am talking about.)

Sunday afternoon we visited the RCMP Heritage Centre (you actually think I would go all the way home and not go to at least one museum!!) It was quite fun. We played dress up and tested our skills as investigators and of course got to look at the amazing and proud history of the RCMP.

Yes that's me.

Heather playing dress up. For some reason I don't think this is the last time she will be seen in one of these hats.

Sunday night we celebrated Stacey’s 19th birthday. For my American friends 19 might not seem like an exciting birthday however legal drinking age in Saskatchewan (and several other provinces) is 19 (in the others it’s 18 by the way) so now she is legal in the entire country.

Stacey celebrating with some gifts.

The whole family gathered for some food and drink (imagine that)

Monday of course was the day we were waiting for. Here are some pictures from the day. Sorry no pictures of Steve (at his request for many reasons including safety) but the rest of us have no problem posing so enjoy them.

Debi, Dad, Mom and I awaiting the start of the parade.

Dad posing with a duck. There was a nice girl who was on a road trip and wanted to get this duck in as many pictures and situations as possible and dad was more than happy to take a picture.

Stacey, Gramma and Uncle Bill awaiting the start of the parade.

Troop #5 (Steve's troop) marching on the parade square for the last time.

Debi and I at the graduation banquet. I know what you're thinking, we looked far too good to waste on a Monday night in Regina but hey anything for our big bro on his special night.

Julie

No comments: