Monday, April 21, 2008

Jackie Robinson Day

April 15, 2008

It just wouldn't be April in Baltimore without a trip to Oriole Park at Camden Yard. The Blue Jays popped into town for a short 2 game series to play the surprisingly good Orioles (let's face it we all thought they would be the worst team in the league this year but as it turns out not so much) and I had to work both days. However I willingly gave up my friday night off so that I could catch the game on tuesday. (is that dedication or what?) Of course April 15th in major league basball is Jackie Robinson Day. On April 15, 1947 Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play major league baseball. The league retired his number throughout baseball in 1997. On April 15th any player who wants to wear it in tribute is allowed to. In the Blue Jays' case Frank Thomas, Vernon Wells and Shannon Stewart (who acutally didn't play) all wore 42.


The view from my very good seats.

April 15th at Oriole Park also happened to be free t-shirt give away day so although I was dressed in my Blue Jays' best, I still came away with a free Orioles t-shirt. (If anyone but me is counting I now have collected 2 free ball hats and 2 free t-shirts at ball games since last year) .

Vernon Wells warming up before the game.

Well anyone who saw this game (let's face it no one did because everyone was watching hockey) it was an excellent 11-3 win for the Jays. I sat with a group of very fun (and pretty cute) boys who came up with some of the best heckling I have heard in a good long time. I of course was not completely immune from the heckling (they called me Joe Carter for most of the game but they still bought me beer so it all worked out) however I did impress them with my baseball knowledge and although they were heckling my team I have to admitt they were pretty funny. Still have to figure out what they said though close to end of the game because apparently Vernon Wells almost came into the stands with a bat after them but we will leave that for another day. Most exciting thing was how close I actually came to catching a foul ball. It actually bounced of the hands of the guy behind be and landed at the feet of the guy in front of me.

Frank Thomas sporting Jackie's #42 awaiting his turn at bat. He of course was released by the Jays about a week after this game so I am going to have to watch Oakland A's games if I want to see him play again.

Anyway, it was a a really fun night at the ballpark. Hopefully there will be a few more of those before I leave Baltimore at the end of May.

Julie

No comments: