Thursday, October 23, 2008

A fire alarm...but no fire

Thursday, September 25, 2008

I just love bikes with a big basket on the front.


London, England
Well my day started very slowly and very late. I did not leave the hotel until after 1300 (1pm). As I mentioned before I lost my travel journal yesterday so spent some time trying to see if I could track it down. Of course at this point it has not been found, which means one of a few things that really bugs me: 1) another traveler found it and just kept it, 2) the bus driver found it and simply didn’t do anything with it or 3) it was turned in by the bus driver or someone else and it is sitting there somewhere and people are just to lazy to go look for it. I would have felt better if I could have searched the bus myself but now I am just trying not to let that affect my last two days here ruin my impression of Britain.
I guess it is good that it is at this point that I lost it not a few more weeks from now although you may find some gaps in my previous blogs. I have been sitting down every night and at least starting to write the day’s events while it is fresh in my mind but go back and fill in more events and stories when I have more time and get them posted. Of course many names, events and dates are written in my journal and lots of info that came from the audio tours is also written there and I really don’t remember so that will not make it (I can only remember so much). Some little bits come back and I write that down but what I can’t find online we will have to do without. I did buy a new journal but it is not nearly as nice as the one Debi had given me for my birthday but it will have to do.

This is the tent city across the street from the British Parliament. The guy who lives here has vowed to stay here until all British troops are out of Iraq. He has been there since they first went into Iraq.

Anyway, I did eventually go back downtown to see a couple more spots before I leave town Saturday morning. I headed down towards the British Parliament and Westminster Abbey. I was going to visit both but decided that my attention would be better spent just visiting one. I chose the Parliament because…well it is election time and I find politics interesting and I had visited Westminster Abbey before.

A look at Westminster Abbey

Both of them cost about the same so that didn’t matter. Also I was very curious to see how the British Parliament runs since Canada’s system is based on the British system. We have certainly lost some of the tradition though.

A look at the British Parliament, also known as the Palace of Westminster.

Before I go into this though I have to tell you this story. I was heading to a escalator in the tube station. I saw these people kind of struggling a little ways up and thought they were fighting but as I got closer I realized the one lady was falling back and the younger girl was trying to hold her up. I tried to get up the stairs quickly to help but did not get there on time and they both fell backward. The younger girl just fell down but the older lady actually went head over heels and hit her head on the escalator. I thought she was going to keep falling but she did only fall once but I totally had escalator horror stories pop up in my head. I seriously thought I was going to see someone die but she was ok. Didn’t speak much English but managed to get out of her family that she felt ok. She had a little scratch on her knee and head but that was it. I think she was really lucky.


I found him hanging out on the Palace of Westminster. He almost looks like he is smiling.

Anyway, back to the parliament. The Queen stills opens parliament every year to a lot of fan far. She sits in a large golden throne in the House of Lords. The members of the House of Commons have to be there as well but they have to be allowed in. They knock on the door with a big black rod and then are allowed in but only because thier presence has been requested by the Queen. Not all of them will fit but as many was possible will squeeze in.

This is the gate that the Queen uses to enter Parliament. I've been told that no one else actually uses it so I guess the rest of the year it just stays locked.

The House of Commons itself is also too small to hold all the members of parliament. There are over 400 members of the house but only room for about 200 or something like that. If they want a seat they have to arrive early (unless you are the Prime Minister or someone important like that but if you are a back bencher, you don't have a hope unless you get there first). This means that not everyone will be voting on all issues which is interesting to me. I have a little bit a literature from the tour so when I get home I will read some more of it and figure some other stuff out. Usally the speaker calls a vote by sound. If the nay’s are louder than the Aye’s (or vice versa) they win. If it is too close to call then the speaker yells “clear the lobby” which is the signal to get the media out of the lobby. The speaker then rings a bell that rings throughout the building (and apparently in some surrounding buildings, including a pub as well) and then members of the house know they have 8 minutes to get to the lobby that they wish (the nay or the aye) and the votes will be counted from the voting lobbies. It doesn’t sound like it would be a very productive way to do things but it works for them so who am I to judge.

The front of the Parliament building with the statue of Richard I (The Lion Heart).

The building is absolutely beautiful inside and out. Unbelievable that it is wasted on politicians. Of course we cannot take picture inside so you will have to check it out yourself sometime. The building has been destroyed by fire several times so it is appropriate that a few minutes into the tour we actually had to leave the building due to a fire alarm. We stood outside on the street for a little while and then they let us back in…..we had to go through security again though. When it was rebuilt the last time the only stimulation was that it had to be built in either the Gothic or Elizabethan style. They chose gothic. It really is cool. Inside there is a lot of architectural detail and old pictures and all those kind of things. I just love it. I could hang out there all day…..but security would probably kick me out.

It is actually called the Palace of Westminster. It was actually a Royal Residence until 1512. Across the street from the Palace is the Jewel Tower. It was originally a part of the Palace of Westminster. It was designed to hold King Edward III Privy Wardrobe. They Privy wardrobe bought, stored and transported the King’s most valuable personal property. It is one of the only remaining buildings from the original Palace. From the Early 17th century until 1864 it held the principle records of the House of Lords. It eventually became to small for this and the records are now held in the Victoria Tower of the parliament building.

The Jewel Tower

Of course the Queen is a constitutional Queen which means her role is limited. She cannot say no to a lot of things but has to sign off on everything before it becomes official. Apparently she does have some power though (unlike in Canada) during times of war and when the parliament is to be dissolved (for an election). Did you know that no catholic can sit on the throne of England? At least for now. The current PM is considering changing this which would be a really historic moment for the country. The English Monarch’s connection to the Catholic church ended with Henry the Eighth. He left the Church of Rome and started the Church of England in order to divorce his first wife (and then marry Anne Boleyn who he eventually had executed).
It really was a great tour. I would certainly take it again….just to see a few of those ceilings again.

Me hanging out along the river. Of course that is the London Eye in the background.


Julie

No comments: