Saturday, November 08, 2008

Excuse me...can you tell me where I am?

Monday, October 13, 2008
Rome Italy


Well I have managed to survive my first day in Rome. WOW. First thing was finding the little café where I could get breakfast. Nothing fancy but included with my room so it will do. The people are very nice. Croissant, fresh squeezed orange juice and cappuccino. And right off the start I have reaffirmed that I do not like cappuccino. Tomorrow I will have to ask for tea.

I spent most of the day walking…..in circles. I am really finding the city hard to navigate. I can read a map ok but navigating is certainly not something I do well. Not that I didn’t know that before but now it has been solidified in my mind. I should find a compass tomorrow. Maybe that will help.

Random garbage and recycling bins. Probably not that random but they are when you are wandering around a new city.

I did manage to find some internet access. Seems to be very plentiful around the Station Termi (main train station) but not anywhere else. Oh well…not a big deal. I think it should be about a 30 minute walk to most things from where I am staying. I am actually closer in than I originally thought. I will be avoiding the metro here if possible.

Look stairs. I have a feeling I will be getting very familiar with stairs while I am here.

Castel Sant'Angelo

My wandering did take me to a couple big sights, the Fontana di Trevi and the Piazza di Spagna (The Spanish steps). And I am sure you know I found them by accident.

Fontana di Trevi


The sun setting over the Vatican.

What I can find very easily throughout the city…...homemade pasta and really good pizza. I love it.


I'm still finding the name of this building.....I found it by accident so I will work on that.


Julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love the pictures! Thanks so much for the postcard! The fact that you have troubles navigating just makes it all the more awesome you go out and travel the world alone. I myself have major troubles finding my way around and for that reason I don't even like to go to Drumheller alone!! LOL! Takes all kinds I guess! You go girl!! Love you!

Julie said...

Ok so the building that I could not name is a monument dedicated to King Vittorio Emmanuele II also unoffcially known as the Altar of the Fatherland.