Thursday, February 4th, 2010
So I’m moving to Albany……that’s Upstate New York. In preparations for my move and my new job I had to do a few things. One of those was get my stuff into a storage facility in Albany.
The majority of my stuff. No I'm not sure how I got it all into that tiny little Manhattan apartment either.
The next was to fly home to Vernon to get some different stuff (including my car). The final will be to make the 4 day drive back across the country to Albany (see future blog entries). So I rented a car, loaded it up and drove to Albany.
So for anyone who has driven in New York City you will understand how frustrating it can be. Not the whole driving part……the finding a place to park part. Seriously annoying. At one point I basically just gave up, risked getting a ticket and parked outside my apartment so I could load my car (on Mondays and Thursdays you cannot park there from 0800-1000 for street cleaning). I managed to get everything in the car….....without getting a ticket and then I was on my way. Ok.....there were a couple more stops and I now remember why I stopped complaining about how much it costs to park anywhere else in the world…..how does $15 an hour sound to you? Because that is what I paid.
Anyway, eventually I got out of the city and onto the open road, Teddy strapped in the passenger seat next to me (I couldn't make my first road trip to Albany without him) and I quickly remembered one thing……how much I missed having my car these past 9 months.
Ahhhhh....open road. How I've missed you.
Not during my work days of course when it is just so much easier to walk or take transit, but definitely on my days off when I wanted to just pick up and go somewhere. Sure there are a ton of things to do in the City but there are also a few million people and some days I really did just feel kind of trapped there.
I had to stop at the scenic lookout. There's something to be said for looking at something other than skyscrapers.
The drive to Albany was actually quite pleasant. Rocks and trees and even some snow. I’m sure it is much prettier in the spring and summer when things are in bloom and green but I really just enjoyed all the open space.
More open road. Just love it.
Anyways, it was a quick trip and I only got a quick glimpse of the city but I am sure I will enjoy my time there. It is only a 6 week contract (maybe 12 weeks depending on what happens) but as we all know, I can cram a lot of things into a short period of time.
A major bonus of this move to Albany....it's gets me all that much closer to the Canadian border.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment