Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I do love the open road.
So I had the weekend off and after many surveys with everyone at work…..no one could come up with anything in Albany I could do in my free time. It was either "no it's too early in the year for that" or "no that will still be closed" (in the summer I think I could keep myself very busy). The very best suggestion from everyone was “hey, you should drive to Montreal”……so I did.
My first use of french in a while. This should be fun.
It was a pretty last minute decision and I really had no plans upon arrival but I figured the drive would be nice and the city would find me something to do so I headed north. I sent off a late message to some friends (Sam and Eva Lo who I met while I was in Turkey) hoping that maybe we might find a moment to reconnect. It worked out that Sam, Eva and I (Sam and Eva are both nurses as well) all have the same weekend off. Sam had to attend a protest rally (year long nursing negotiations…....not the wage rollbacks Alberta is suggesting but certainly not anything that is good for nurses…or teachers…or anyone) but once that was done he was able to join Eva (and her boyfriend Robert) and I for some bubble tea. Of course I had no idea what bubble tea was. But Eva suggested it and when I asked what bubbled tea was, she assured me it was "an Asian thing". I was excited to try it...even after Eva explained to me that there had been some bubble tea related deaths.....I drank mine rather carefully.
Anyway, finding Eva and Robert turned out to be more difficult than we had planned. That protest rally that Sam was at closed down a bunch of streets but Robert was very good at giving me directions......until I ran into more closed streets due to construction (seriously, I don't know how people drive in Montreal). And of course there was the small problem of my french being pretty rusty and me not being sure I could turn or drive or park but eventually I did find the road I was suppose to be on and a place to park.
Don't ask me why this guy had such a hard time parking. The car is tiny and the street is empty. Totally no excuse. Just a complete idiot I think.
We look happily reunited don't we? Sam was confused and thought it was summer and wore shorts. I was hoping it would be summer but turns out, winter returned while I was there.
Saturday turned into a hanging out and chatting and drinking and eating day (trust me when you hangout with Eva....you do a lot of eating). Although I did get a quick moment to check out La Basilique Notre-Dame de Montreal while Eva went grocery shopping.
The Basilica. Doesn't look that special from the outside but I am sure the inside would be great. Of course I couldn't get inside on Saturday, but no worries I was able to visit on Sunday.
Once Eva was done with the shopping we met backup for some food and beer. This place was recommended by Sam because the burgers were "better" than the original place Eva was going to meet me. They really were good and filling and I enjoyed every bite. The beer was good too.
Sunday rolled around and it was time for me to check out a few of the things Eva recommended and a few things I added to my list. Now once again you have to know Eva. When I left her Saturday she had about 2 ideas of things I should see. When I woke up Sunday she had about 200 ideas (and included addresses, and website links and all kinds of things).
The view from my hotel room. This is the Cathedrale Marie-Reine-Du-Monde (Cathedral of Mary, Queen of the World). It is the third largest church in Quebec and is the seat of the Archdiocese of Montreal.
Of course I went inside Mary, Queen of the World. I had to wait a few moments before I could take some pictures because church was still in session. But it was just so pretty so I couldn't resist......even with people still praying around me.
From there I headed over to what is known as Old Montreal. Formerly a walled part of the city, it dates back to the 1600's. It is full of all kinds of things like churches and restaurants and stores and old cobblestone streets and it is just a great place to spend a few hours.
Looking down Rue Saint-Paul. It is actually wider and more straight than most of the streets you will find in Old Montreal.
My first stop had to be back at La Basilique Notre-Dame because of course I couldn't get in the day before. Construction on the Basilica began in 1824 and although it was officially dedicated in 1829, it seems like work has been going on ever since. It's architecture is considered some of the most dramatic in the world. It certainly looks very different inside than most other Basilicas I have visited. Interesting to know that unlike most Basilicas, many stain glass windows in Notre-Dame do not depict biblical scenes but instead tell the story of the religious history of Montreal. A visit from Pope John Paul II in 1982 raised the status of Notre-Dame from Church to Basilica. Notre-Dame has hosted many large events including the funeral of Maurice "Rocket" Richard, the State Funeral of Pierre Trudeau and Celine Dion's wedding.
The first view you see as you walk in. Not at all what I expected. So much more than I expected.
One more look. So amazing......and so worth the return trip.
Once I had thoroughly exhausted the inside of the Basilica I headed out to wandered the cobble stone, check out some old buildings and perhaps do a little shopping.
I don't know about you.....but I find this really creepy.
A little bit of Old Montreal. Yes, that is snow you see. I mean it is March......it is Montreal. Snow makes sense to me.
In case you cannot read it, this is Marche Bonsecours (Bonsecours Market). It was home to Montreal's City Hall from 1847 to 1878 but was built to serve as a market place where Montreal citizens could buy produce from local farmers. It served this purpose until it was closed in 1963. The building has been heavily renovated and is now home to some Government Offices, Tourist Information, restaurants and many little boutiques.
I found these ladies just sitting around chatting. Didn't know what they were saying......they talked really fast......and in French.
Hanging out in Old Montreal. You can see the old cobble stone. Not very fun to drive on.....or walk on. Behind me you can just catch a glimpse of the door of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel. It was built in 1655.
Most people will recognize this Yellow and Blue tent as the home of Cirque de Soleil. Nothing was going on the day I was wandering around but Totem opens on April 22. If you have never been to a Cirque show I highly...HIGHLY recommend you catch one. They are great.
I can't lie......I spent a lot of time here because I truly believe there are not too many things better than Maple Creme Cookies. Mmmmmmm Maple Creme Cookies.
Yes, I did find the Molson plant. Can't really miss it.
Once I had spent enough time in Old Montreal I headed out to see a few other things. I drove by Olympic Stadium. It is probably less impressive now than even a few years ago but it is one of Montreal's most famous landmarks so I had to see it. I then took a drive up "Mount" Royal, as suggested by Eva, to check out the view. You are suppose to be able to see most of the city from up there. I guess you probably can on a clear day.
This is what I saw however.......just a little bit too much snow. But I still enjoyed the drive.
And that was my trip to Montreal. It is safe to say that I just barely touched the list of things that Eva suggested so if I make it back anytime soon.....I will have a lot of things to do. And yes, many of those things involve eating.
My drive was pretty uneventful but can you imagine living in a town called "Chazy".
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment