Friday, August 27th, 2010
Government House. So cute. So pretty.
Government House is right across the street from the Parliament.
The torrential rain was certainly new but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared and the heat returned…….with a vengeance. I am told the humidity is only a taste of what is to come. Anyway, the sun came up just in time for me to take my planned tour of Government House…..the official residence of the Administrator of the Northern Territory. As discussed before, The Northern Territory is not a state so does not have a Governor like everywhere else in Australia but in many ways he is the equivalent. He reports directly to the Governor General of Australia. In other States the role of the Governor is similar to that of the Governor General. They over-see things. Each state still has an elected Premier (or in the Territory's case a Chief Minister). I can't lie.....it is still all very confusing. By the the time I leave I might have it all worked out.
This is about the house though. It happens to be the oldest European building in NT. The house was first completed in 1871. Since then it has been damaged by cyclones and bombings and ants (yes, those little tiny insects) but each time it has been beautifully rebuilt. It’s not quite the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace but it is a cute little place set on a great piece of land with a view surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The gardens have also been rebuilt and changed over the years. It seems as though the gardens become the responsibility of the Administrator's wife and over the years each one has added her own special touch to the place. The grounds surrounding the place have gone from barren waste land, to lush rain forest. So very nice. Here's a peak.
Heading down to the lower rain forest. There is a road below this but you would never know it.
This interesting group of trees and roots have provided a perfect place for various items. Here you can see the lamps and a few potted plants.
This is the gardener's board. It has a list of all the plants and where they are so that everyone can keep track of what needs to be done and where. Taking care of these gardens will certainly be a full time job for several people.
Hanging out in the gardens. Nice little spot. Too bad they aren't open to the public all the time.
Of course the Administrator’s private apartment, complete with pool were not accessible to the public but I took a quick look at the rest. The current Administrator is His Honour Mr Tom Pauling AO QC (that's Order of Australia (AO) and Queen's Counsel (QC)). Here's a look at the place.Looking at the house from the main driveway. Although there appears to be a second story, there really isn't anything up there.
Looking up from one of the lower gardens.
The old cellar. Not actually used anymore but still on display to the public.
A few of the old items you can find in the cellar.
This is the Prince of Wales Room so named in honour of the 1988 visit of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana. It was one of the original bedrooms in the house but has now been refurbished as a reception room.
The Dining Room. It can hold up to 22 guests. The Administrator uses this room to host luncheons and dinners. Let's face it, his job is mostly ceremonial these days so he should have a nice place to entertain his guests.
One the verandahs. Originally these would have been open but were later enclosed with bamboo slatting and shutters. The current louvres (a fancy name for shutters) pre-date World War II.
Looking out on the gardens from one of the verandah windows.
This was the room I found the most fascinating. This is The Queen's Bedroom. It is the main guest suite and was named in honour of Her Majesty The Queen who visited and stayed here in 1982. It was referred to as The Royal Suite for this occasion. I find it interesting because it is such a simple room. Hard to imagine The Queen and Prince Philip staying here.
The Royal Suite's en suite. Again very simple but very Northern Territory in style.
Another great day in the Northern Territory. Of course there will be a lot more to come.
But I guess in all this I have forgotten to mention the biggest thing. We found an apartment!!!! And have moved in. We are still missing furniture and we spent the first night in the place without power but we are in a place. I'm still sleeping on my cot but not for much longer (that sound you hear is me rejoicing). We manged to find ourselves a two bedroom, two bathroom penthouse apartment with a private rooftop balcony complete with a spa (that's a hot tub...except we keep it cold).
So for everyone who is keeping track, I made it 2 weeks in a tent and I think I handled it pretty good. Even Debi and Scott agree with that. Next maybe I'll try camping. Ok, maybe not but we shall see. I am after all living a short drive from the Australian Outback.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment