Sunday, December 05, 2010

60's Night for a 50th Anniversary

Darwin Bowls and Social Club
Darwin, Australia
Saturday, December 4th, 2010

I think I mentioned at some point that Deb, Scott and I have been spending Wednesday nights at the Darwin Bowls Club, playing social bowls. Well, lately it has been just Scott and I (Debi stays home and studies......and I think she likes having the apartment to herself). Scott likes it so much that he even became a member of the club.

This year the club was celebrating their 50th anniversary with a dinner and dance. We decided we would check it out although we really were not sure what to expect. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much but we got a whole lot more. It really was a nice night. The tickets were $66 and that gave you a full dinner with dessert (all very yummy), free tea and coffee and free drinks (I know I enjoyed the champagne). The $66 a head did not cover the cost of the night and the club absorbed the rest. Turns out they went all out for the celebration and it was well deserved.

The tables. Kind of felt like we were at a wedding. Not at all what I expected. A very nice surprise.

The table setting complete with wine on ice, a program for the evening and a free pack of cigarettes (only in Darwin).

The theme of the night was The Sixties so Deb, Scott and I dressed up for the event. Funny though, not a lot of other people did. Most of those who did were no where near alive during the Sixties but it was a good time.

Deb outside our apartment waiting for a taxi. I will point out that most of her outfit she actually owns.

A big highlight was that the special guests were His Honour Mr Tom Pauling AO QC and his wife. If you have forgotten, he is The Administrator of the Northern Territory. I went and introduced myself during dessert (although I am not sure I addressed him correctly). A very nice guy and like many in Australia a big fan of lawn bowling.

Anyway, here are a few other pictures from the night.

Deb and Scott during dinner. In case you haven't figured out yet, Deb and I like the camera a whole lot more than Scott does.

The 3 of us enjoying a pre-dinner drink. The night was not just about the 50th anniversary. They also handed out the yearly awards for the teams that actually play real competitions. One of our table mates won awards in almost every category.

Scott and I with Stewie. He was the old bartender at the bowls club. Tonight was his last night in town. He has his caravan all packed up and is heading south on an extended holiday/retirement. He was a lot of fun and always had great stories to tell. He will be missed.

A great dinner and awards night was capped off with some dancing. I think we all know Deb loves to dance....and Scott does too.

Julie

No comments: