Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Fred Pass Rural Show....Yes There are Cows

Saturday, May 14th, 2011
Around Darwin, NT, Australia

So with ending of the Arafura Games, it was back to finding other ways to entertain me in Darwin. I don’t think I’m a difficult person to keep occupied but I do like watching sports…..but we don’t have a TV and I like museums and well Darwin is totally lacking in those so I guess I am a difficult person to keep occupied. Anyway, The Fred Pass Rural show was on this weekend so Scott, Deb and I decided we would mount up and head there for an afternoon.



Looking at some of the plants on display and for sale. I was expecting squash and tomatoes and other vegetables but these are actually garden plants/flowers. I probably appear a lot more excited in this picture than I actually am.



This is a hat that has been made by crocheting beer cans together. No I am not kidding. This is a hat of beer cans that has been crocheted. I want to say "only in Darwin" but I'm sure you can find them at Rural shows all over the place.

I was not really sure what to expect but I heard there was some wood chopping exhibits and Scott was very excited about that. I was expecting animals on show and maybe some champion squash growers….you know an award winning carrot or something……and cotton candy (or fairy floss as they call it here)......we really wanted some cotton candy.


Look baby goats. Wouldn't be a rural show without some sort of baby animals. There was also a large selection of chickens......some of which had won prices.



And a cow. In the pen next to this one was a girl just hanging out with her cow. Seriously she was all curled up with him........they looked cute.



And there it is.....Scott with his cotton candy. He had this bite and then realized that cotton candy is a whole lot sweeter than we thought it was when we were kids. We hardly made a dent in the bag. But it brought back some childhood memories so was totally worth it.

We found a few other things as well, including booths for many of the local politicians and the City of Darwin, some show jumping (you know like horses and stuff), a local dance troupe (I can't lie, they were pretty amateur), Christian schools selling food and drinks to raise money for their "Let's help India" funds and a couple of guys flying around on motor bikes. Yes there were also some rides and some games but Scott refused to pay money to try to win me a purple unicorn (it was so fluffy I almost died……but if you haven’t seen ”Despicable Me” you won’t understand that reference) so we didn’t play.


No I did not forget about the wood chopping.......the one thing Scott really wanted to see on this day. The big guy with the #1 on his back is a World Champion wood chopper and he had a great message to all the kids in the audience about going after your dreams because if he could do it so could everyone else. Who knew a world champion wood chopper could be so inspirational.



The guys on their motorbikes. They were pretty good. Below are a couple videos I took of some of their tricks.


Motor bike back flips.


Double motor bike back flips.


Of course no rural show would be complete without a photo session.....at least in Debi's world.



Please note the piece of straw in Scott's mouth. Seriously classic.


The more I look at the calender, the more I realize that we are quickly running out of opportunities for family pictures.


And that was our day at the Fred Pass Rural Show. Not sure we learnt anything but we did manage to entertain ourselves for an afternoon. I am still a little upset that I didn't get a purple unicorn but I'm sure in a few days I'll get over it. Scott can just cook me dinner.


Julie

No comments: