Monday, August 03, 2015

Getting Our Land Legs Back?

Ushuaia, Argentina
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014

Well, today was the day our trip to Antarctica officially ended. After breakfast we all made our way off the M/S Expedition and back to Ushuaia. Of course it was about 0800 when we had to leave so had a full day ahead of us. Many people would be heading to the airport (some of who we would run back into in Buenos Aires) but Jeff and I decided to stay a few extra days to see a bit more of Ushuaia. To our delight we were not the only ones so planned dinner with a few other people.

Met on land by a pretty rainbow.

We headed back up the street to our hotel but unfortunately were too early to check-in. So we wandered for a bit. Some shopping, some food...some combinations of each before checking in to the hotel and taking a nap (at least I did.).

My nap was momentarily interrupted by this little protest. 

Eventually it was dinner time and we made our way up to this great restaurant call Maria Lola. You have to walk up a hill to get there (well I guess you could also drive), but if ever in Ushuaia, I highly recommend it. Great food with a beautiful view.

Didn't even have to get out of my chair to enjoy a bit of that view.

But when I did, it got even better. The wine was also good, but then again we're in Argentina.....you can barely go wrong with the wine.

Eventually dinner was over we decided the night was still young so headed to the local Irish pub for a few drinks.

Southern most Irish Pub in the Word.

Me, Jeff, Shuri, Casey and Vanessa....before we got convinced to try some Fernet. But a great look at how much fun we had that night.

Vanessa's face is in reaction to the Fernet (con cola) that Jeff felt we had to try. Argentina is the only place you will find Fernet. If you check out some of the websites about Fernet, they say it is the best all occasion alcohol out there but no one really knows what it is made of because they keep Fernet recipes secret. I might be smiling but my reaction to Fernet is about the same as Vanessa's.....not good. I stuck to the beer.

After the pub, Casey (from Australia) left us for her hotel (she had an early flight) and Vanessa and myself went on a walking tour with Jeff and Shuri who were again looking for the Southern most strip club in the world. We found it this time.....but it was closed. From here Jeff and Shuri went back to the Irish pub, and Vanessa and I returned to our respective hotels and went to bed. 

It was a long, even though slightly unproductive day. But still more to come tomorrow.

Julie

No comments: