Monday, August 03, 2015

Time to Head North Again

Travel from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, Argentina
Friday, February 28th, 2014

Well on the last day of February it was time to say goodbye to Ushuaia and head back to Buenos Aires. Vanessa had a flight earlier in the day but we already had plans to meet back up with her. Jason (who was Jeff's roommate on the ship) was also already back in B.As so we would be meeting up with him at some point as well. But Jeff and I didn't fly out until later so we had the chance to see a few last minute things.

Mostly we just wandered our way down towards the water, did some shopping and Jeff was trying to find the Toyota dealership so he could look at his new vehicle (well not the exact one but you get what I mean). We didn't find the dealership but found a few other things along the way.

This is a time capsule. If Google translate is correct, it contains 6 laser discs with television shows from October to December 1992. The scheduled opening year is 2492. I wonder what people in 2492 will think of 1992 us based on our television.

Wine and church. They go together, right?

This translates to " Prohibited mooring English pirates ships". You will still find some (and sometimes a lot) of animosity towards the British over the Falklands War in 1982. 

In case you are not familiar with the Falklands conflict, it took place over about 10 weeks in 1982 over the Falkland Islands and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. Argentina asserted (and maintains to this day) that the islands are Argentinian territory, so the Argentine government viewed actions as reclaiming their territory. The British government regarded the action as an invasion of a territory that has been theirs since 1841. Falkland Islanders are said to favour British sovereignty as they are mostly descendants of British settlers. Relations between the United Kingdom and Argentina were restored in 1989 however, neither country has made a change in their positions in regards to the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands. In 1994, Argentina's claim to the territories was added to its constitution. There are a lot of monuments and information around the city about the Falklands Conflict but it is not something you want to discuss with the the locals.

The distance to a few other places from here.

I'm glad I didn't have to go to Antarctica in a raincoat....but hanging with that penguin would have been cute.

Yes, there there is a mountain nearby named after my niece.

Over looking Ushuaia.

Jeff was very excited to find the Southern most Geek Shop (his words not mine) in the world.

The Southern Most Arab Restaurant in the world.....yes we're still on that Southern most kick. Won't get to say that much longer.

Eventually we had to head back to the airport where we ran back into Shuri. He had an interesting story to tell. One of the guys on the ship had suggested that he hitchhike to some nearby locations. Turns out that wasn't as safe as this guy has let on and Shuri was actually robbed (well attempted) at knife-point. Lucky Shuri was able to depend himself and got away unharmed....and with most of his stuff but as you can imagine he was a little shaken up.

Upon arrival to Buenos Aires, the three of us headed back to Jeff's place. Shuri had a hostel booked, but not until tomorrow night and after the whole knife thing I think he was looking forward to spending the night among friends. 

My first priority was laundry.....getting all the penguin poop off my stuff so I could get my winter stuff packed away. I really like the laundry rack at Jeff's place. Jeff on the other hand was leaving his laundry....because his maid would be here in a few days.

Dinner time!!! Jeff, Shuri and I headed to the Japanese place around the corner for dinner. I have to say I enjoyed eating at a Japanese restaurant with someone from Japan (Shuri). He was pretty impressed with it all. And we ate good on this night.

Tomorrow we would head out and see the city.

Julie

No comments: