Sunday, January 03, 2016

Another Day, Another Hike

El Chalten, Argentina
Sunday, March 9, 2014

Today I would spend another day hiking, however this time I would be on my own. Yesterday Pilar made a few suggestions for me. I decided that I would follow the trail up to Laguna Torre. I didn't have a quick start this morning, eventually leaving my hotel just before 1000. It actually took about 20 minutes to walk from the hotel to the trail head.

Looking down at El Chalten as I make my way to the trail head.

A little panorama of the town.

Look.....I found the trail head........that's a great start to the day.

The map......it wasn't that helpful. Pilar had already given me very good directions for the best trail to take and this map didn't change my mind.

The first few steps up the hill.

Here are a few pictures from my day.

A beautiful sight with all the fresh snow. 

It was a beautiful hike.

My little lunch companion. 

The beautiful view.

The sunshine coming through the trees.

Laguna Torre is just over there.....but it's still a bit of a hike.

Just over the hill....and at the base of the glacier.

Laguna Torre is fed from the surrounding glaciers and is surrounded by moraine. That means lots of soft sand and sediment. Unfortunately the sun went away just as I got here and the temperature dropped a bit. I didn't end up spending too much time here but it was another beautiful hike back to town.

The river bed. This meant some flat hiking....which was actually kind of nice after yesterday's climb. Although there certainly was some up and down trails to get in and out of this little valley.

Heading back towards town and back up the from the river.

The trails are pretty nice here. Marked well and feel pretty safe. Th trail head maps could do some updating but I really cannot complain.

The final stretch of trees as I headed back down into town.

The total hike was around 18 kilometres and took about 6 hours (a little quicker pace than yesterday but I would say today's trail was a bit easier). The weather was probably perfect and the day was fantastic. It was another early night more me....all this fresh air makes me tired. I would be on the move again in the morning.

Julie

No comments: