April 29, 2008
Debi had all of tuesday off so we planned to spend the day shopping and swimming. I did of course have to buy a few things before I left the island and Georgetown did the trick. I also found out that I could get lost on a very small island........ in the most populated part of that small island. I was suppose to meet Deb at the Dairy Queen but couldn't find it again (I totally thought it was next to the Hard Rock Cafe but it turns out it was not even close, so I wandered the streets because no one could direct me too it until Deb finally found me.) It was a little upsetting but then we went swimming so it was ok......and hey if you are going to get lost, it doesn't suck to get lost on a Caribbean Island.....it's not like it was the Bermuda Triangle or something.
We borrowed some snorkle gear from Scotty and headed out to Eden Rock, which is the most recommended snorkle spot. I was very happy because instantly I saw some bright blue fish and I my underwater cameras were about to pay off. Not sure how long we spent out there but did get to see some totally awesome fish. The sargeant majors are very cute but I learned a little later in the day that they are not always that friendly.
From there we headed to Cemetary Beach because Deb likes to hang out and then we realized that there is lots of snorkling there too so I headed back into the water with all my gear on. I could not believe how many little fish there were surrounding me. For a while they followed me and then I was following them and then one little guy got very brave and decided to bite me. Yes the pretty little sargeant major bit me. They eat the corral so have very sharp little teeth and I actually bled. Of course now that I was surrounded by what I would have originally said was 20 fish, but now that one bit me would have to say they looked more like 50 strong, I got a little nervous. I had images of pirranhas in my head and was thinking "oh my, I am about to get eaten alive by a bunch of little reef fish". It was at that moment that I decided I had had enough snorkling for one day and headed back to shore.
The pathway to the beach.
Some of the underwater sights.
Looking down the beach.
Deb and I learned later that night that people tend to feed the little fish and that is why they follow you around.....and yes the sargeant majors can be mean little bastards. That is information I would have liked to have known a few hours earlier.
This is what sargeant majors look like....when they're about to eat you alive. Seriously not so cute anymore!!!!
That night he headed back to Calico Jacks. This time it was for Jam Night. Basically anyone who has a guitar and wants to sing on the open mike can. It was quite fun. Deb says there is a Jam Night almost every night at one little bar or another. It was very entertaining and a great way to spend my last night on the Island.
Hanging out at Calico's for the last time.
This is Debi's friend Carlos on the open mic. He is also one of the member of a band called Charlie Goes Electric who I did not get to see this trip but maybe next time.
Julie











No comments:
Post a Comment