One of the original double-decker buses. There are still 2 in service. These buses load from the back of the bus instead of the front like the new ones. Apparently this is a little dangerous and some people of gotten hurt and that is why they were taken out of service.
London, EnglandThe current piece of art in Trafalgar Square. It won't be there the next time I am as they change it every few months.
Looking down the Thames River at the London Eye.
Looking down a random street in London. Very small but that won't stop people from driving like idiots.
Green Park. You can rent these chairs for a nice relaxing afternoon in the park. If you walk through this park you will get to Buckingham Palace.
One of those little dragons. You actually see them a lot...after you know to look for them.
Looking up at the Tower Bridge.
The memorial in Trafalgar Square
I guess I can see why people might think this is Napoleon however you would have to ask why the Brits would have a statue of a french man in one of thier most famous squares.
Apparently the top of this church was the original inspiration for the multi-tiered wedding cake.
Like Canadian Citizens can get free access to internet by showing their passport at Canada House (the Canadian High Commission or embassy or consulate or whatever you want to call it).
I guess you are never too far away from a piece of Canadian soil.
This is the famed Harrods Department Store. I didn't go in....and that is apparent because I still have some money left.
Ok so this is just funny and anyone who has tried to cross a London street knows why.
I just find this skyline interesting. Some very modern buildings. The round one on the left is the City Hall. A real contrast to the older buildings you will find throughout the city.
And I think I have been in the city long enough to start giving my impression. I am definitely noticing a few things that I did not notice last time I was here. First is what a huge melting pot the city is. I can honestly say I have never been to an English city where I have heard so little English being spoken. It seems everyone is from somewhere else. I am also finding people very rude, much ruder than I remember and much ruder than other places I have been. Even in Washington and New York City I have found more pleasant people and people willing to help you out. I am also noticing that there is a lot of garbage around the city and people do not seem to have much pride in their surroundings. And I am not the only one to think so. There was a news report tonight about how people feel that the city looks trashy, that people need to have more pride in where they live and what needs to be done to improve the city’s image.
One of the horse guards. He seems to have a very captive audience. Apparently the horses bite.
China town. These laterns actually rubbed our heads as the bus drove under them.
A random tunnel in London. I like the random tunnels.
Once my tour was over I met up with Debi’s friend Adrian. He is a New Yorker who has been living and working in London for about the last 4 years. He has a great view of the city considering he grew up in another very large city that is known for being dirty and loud and full of rude people (he does agree with some of my current assessment of the city). He introduced me to shanty (which is half sprite or lemonade or something like that and half beer). It is really good and I have decided that I like it. You will find me back in Canada in a few months ordering it. He showed me a few places and we had a great dinner. Unfortunately my cold has actually gotten worse so came back to the hotel early to try to recover. Lots more on tap for tomorrow though.
Adrian was very excited when he saw this car. I am sure some boys will know this is the car from The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. I had no idea.
A little movie from Covent Garden Market. If I had noticed the lady dancing when I was taping this, I would have taped a little longer.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment