While the Newseum still remains my favourite the National Holocaust Museum is absolutely one of the best!!! It took me until my last week in DC before I finally got there and it was well worth the wait.
I can honestly say that the museum did not present much to me that I did not already know. Obviously it is about the rise of Nazi Germany and the Jewish Holocaust. There are lots of pictures, personal stories, very accurate historical timelines and all that kind of thing. The way the information was presented was the most important thing though. The museum is set up like a concentration camp (although I did not realize that until much later). You are forced down narrow hallways that open up into larger rooms and then more narrow hallways. The day I was there, there were a lot of people (maybe too many) and you really felt like you were being herded and forced to go where someone else wanted you to go. I got the feeling of being in a concentration camp, without even knowing that that was intended in the design. It was extremely effective. Of course they do not let you take any pictures so there is only one from the outside.
This swastika that been taken apart never to be put back together again…symbolizing that we must never forget but never repeat the mistakes of the past.
I would highly recommend this museum to anyone who makes it to the DC area. It is free like most museums but you do require a timed ticket and on very busy days you may not be able to enter when you want so you have to plan.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment