Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ok so I cheated.....but just a little

Saturday, November 8, 2008
Athens, Greece


One of the walkways in the National Garden in Athens. Still looking nice and green....even in November.

So last night I couldn’t sleep…..and I assure you it wasn’t because of the giant king sized bed. I think I just have a lot on my mind these days so I spent some time updating the blog. I am still behind but it is getting there. Although this was written on the 8th of November, it may be sometime in December (ok January) before you actually get to read it.

Anyway, eventually I did get up and headed off to explore. I had a bit of a route planned out on my map and knew if I got a little off track that it would be ok but actually felt pretty good about the navigation thing (silly me). Things I have learned early on in my visit to Athens.......some road signs are written in English but the farther away you get from tourist centres, the less English you will see. Also that the map will probably skip several streets (just like the maps in Rome which is one of the reasons I had such a hard time) so it may take a few blocks before you actually find a road that is on the map.

Ahhh, old faithful. At least if I get lost I can find some pizza.

Anyways, my planned destination was Lykavitos Hill but I would be happy to see what ever I found along my way. The first thing I actually came across was Panathenaikon Stadium (you find it called Kallimararo Stadium in some places).

The current stadium was completed in 1870 and was used during the 1896 Athens Olympics. It is not the correct track shape, so cannot be used for track events but is the starting and finishing place for the annual Athens Marathon (which happens to be tomorrow) and of course was used in the Marathon during the 2004 Olympics.
From there I re-planned my route to take me past the parliament building…....I missed a turn but managed to find the road that took me right up to the base of Lykavitos Hill. The hill has a funicular (like a cable car) that takes you to the top and although I would normally walk it, I cheated today and took the funicular. It is really similar to the incline in Pittsburgh except this one is all inside so you cannot enjoy the view on your way up. The only thing you can see are the advertisements that are in place.

A view of the Acropolis from Lykavitos Hill

Once at the top I was able to get a great view of the city.

Looking down over the edge. I have my back to the edge for a reason......I don't like looking down so much.

It was not as sunny today as other days but still pretty warm, although it seems that every time I get to the top of a hill, the wind picks up and it is a little bit colder. Up top there is also an open air theatre where concerts and events are held in the summer and Ayios Yeoryios which is an ancient white church you can visit.
I then took the walk down, heading back towards Plaka. Of course you pass through the high end shopping area first. I almost let Louis Vuitton take the rest of my money, but I was strong and left the fabulous handbag where it was (how many of you ever thought I would say that?).

This one had some very interesting items in it. Deb would have liked it.

I then did manage to find my way to the Parliament. I was hoping to catch the Changing of the Guard but I just missed it. They change every hour on the hour, 24 hours a day so I am sure I will be able to see it again.

Also from the "it could be worse" file. Imagine standing around guarding the Parliament in this......

and these.

I found a metro station in the area as well so I decided I would hop on a train and make my way up to the 2004 Olympic venue.

The Olympic Arch.

Athens public transit is very good. They have buses, trams, the subway and trolley system. All of them work together and I have learned very quickly that if you miss your bus you don’t have to wait much longer for another one that is going to the same place. Anyway, I hopped aboard a train and took the approx. 30 minute trip to the site.

The main Olympic stadium and the Olympic torch.

The swimming venue (I couldn't get a shot of the track for me so I got a shot of the pool for Heather.) I had to climb into the "do not enter" zone to get it but there were no security guards around so I took a chance.

All the main buildings are in the same place so you don’t have to go far but of course you cannot get inside anything as they are now used for other things. In fact there was a football (soccer) game going on at the Olympic stadium that night so security would not let me get too close. Too bad…I would have done anything to take a look at that mondo (that’s the track surface just in case you were wondering).
I then headed back into the city centre before heading back to my hotel. I took a quick tour through the National Garden. Not the best time of year to hit a garden but still lots of people around enjoying the day.....and lots of people doing last minute preps for tomorrow's marathon.

A fountain in the National Garden

My plan tomorrow is to head to Delphi which is about a 3 hour bus ride from Athens. I will have to take a bus to the other bus station and think I have figured out where to find that so hopefully I will have no problems. I decided to grab dinner close to the hotel as I was not in the mood to head back to Plaka. I hit the first place I found which was just across the street. The food was excellent and such a good price too. Portions were really huge so I actually have leftovers.
Anyway, Athens so far has been pretty good but we shall see what tomorrow brings.

The fun part of Athens......the random things you can find. These are the remains of an old Greek Bath. It was found during the construction of the subway for the 2004 Olympics. A ventilation shaft was suppose to be built here. They had to build it somewhere else as now this a protected Archaeological site. You can see more items found during the construction in several metro stations throughout the city.


Julie

No comments: