Travel from San Gimignano to Venice and around Venice, Italy
Well I have made my way to Venice and done so with very little problems. I grabbed the bus from San Gimignano to Poggisni and then from Poggisni to Florence. I found out a little too late that I could have taken the train that last leg but the bus ride was comfortable and I think it all took about the same amount of time so whatever. The bus dropped me off right at the train station so I did not even have to walk. Today turned out to be a great day to travel as it has been raining off and on all day.
I got to Florence about 1045 and was able to get on a train to Venice at 1150.This time I got myself booked onto a first class eurostar train. Much nicer than the others I have taking but still running 20 minutes behind. The ride was uneventful and I slept for most of it (of course I did) and arrived nice and refreshed in Venice at around 1445.
My first impression of Venice was WOW and that included the severe overwhelming feeling I had. I guess that was because I arrived here the most unprepared I have been since setting out on this journey. I got myself a great map from the tourist information booth and then started to walk in the direction of the hotel I was going to attempt to stay at. Of course it was recommended by Lonely Planet and part of the reason I chose it was because it was on a direct walking route to and from the train station. Unfortunately it was full so I was unable to stay there and had to go for my second choice. My second choice was the 4 star hotel recommended by Lonely Planet that just so happened to be right down the street. I would like everyone to note that I actually found both these hotels without getting lost once.
A very common scene in Venice.
The hotel I am staying at is Hotel Giorgione. The building dates back to the 15th century. It was turned into a hotel about 100 years ago and was recently refurbished but still decorated in old Venetian style so really fun. It is close to lots of restaurants and stuff like that and just a few minutes from one of the 3 bridges that cross the Grand Canal. There are of course a million other canals in the city that you cross all the time, since the city is built on water, but the Grand Canal only has 3 bridges that cross it.
One of those smaller canals.
I think I got a little cocky though because I did spend some time walking around this evening..…having no idea where I was. I headed out for dinner and figured I would be staying close so left my map at the hotel. I ended up wandering a little farther and much too far just to back track. Eventually I came out at Piazza San Marco which is a main land mark and was able to navigate my way back to the hotel from there. It was a nice walk, even with the little bit of rain, and I have found a Fed-Ex shipping store in the meantime so it actually was very productive.
Halloween is just around the corner and while they do not seem to be as excited about it over here as we are in North America, this candy store was all dressed up......maybe just for the tourists.
Tomorrow I will be off to see some sites and maybe a little shopping. Very excited. This place is so cool.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment