Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Did anyone else miss Daylight savings?

Sunday, October 26, 2008
Travel from Siena to San Gimignano and around San Gimignano, Italy



A look at San Gimignano

Well this morning it was back to the bus station to make my way to the Manhattan of Tuscany, San Gimignano. Once I had figured out how to say it (and I mean San Gimignano), I was able to buy a ticket. Of course the lady told me the next bus would leave at 0940. My watch said 1000 but I thought nothing of it thinking she had just misspoken or I had just heard wrong. Once I got to the bus stop though and got talking to this very nice couple of the Seattle area I realized that I had missed daylight savings and my watch was actually an hour ahead. Dad usually reminds me to change my clocks but as he was on the other side of the world......and daylight savings in North America is one week later, I will let him off for not reminding me this time. So once I adjusted my watch I actually felt better as I thought I was getting a late start and it turns out I was not.

I had to switch buses at a nice little spot called Poggibonsi. Really nice is a relative term as there is not much there..…except the bus stop (ok I am sure if I had walked around a little I would have found something interesting to look at). The weather was nice and warm today so I tried to sit out in the sun. A very nice man…who spoke no English seemed to take a interest in me (which was actually ok, he was just being nice, not like some of the dirty old men I have come across) and found out where I was going and asked each bus driver for me as the buses rolled by until he found the right one for me to get on. Very helpful. After 13 days you would think my Italian would improve a little but the only thing getting better seems to be my French (if that makes any sense).

Walking up the main street to Piazza del Duomo.

Anyways, it was a packed bus ride the rest of the way so I had a feeling Manhattan was going to be a popular spot that Sunday. San Gimignano is a favourite spot for day trippers but I am very glad I stayed a couple nights. I wandered my way up the hill in the general direction that everyone was going because I knew my hotel was just off the main plaza. Sure enough I found it without any problems and managed to get checked into my room nice and early. My room is nice enough…....small and clean but the view is great. My little balcony overlooks the Tuscan valley. Very nice. The view will certainly make up for any shortcomings the hotel might have (not that I have found any yet).

The view from my hotel room balcony. Yes I did take sometime to sit and relax out here....I actually took a small nap...it was nice.

I had to change into a pair of shorts as the sun was very warm that day. I headed towards the information spot to get a map and to see what else I could find. The lady there was very helpful, the maps were helpful and there was a large collection of tours that I could take part in. I booked myself into the Grand Chianti Tour for Monday afternoon, which is mainly a wine tasting at a couple wineries while travelling through the Chianti region.

A random set of stairs I found while exploring the village.

The rest of the day I just kind of walked around. I did stop by one museum, which housed archaeological pieces and then some very modern and contemporary art (I know...... could you get more opposite). The archaeological stuff was very neat however everything was written in Italian so I could only get the basic ideas of everything. Lots of old pottery from shops and homes and that kind of thing as well as old urns and some old ledgers showing the debts of this person and that person. Very interesting.

Another random street in San Gimignano

Of course I truly enjoyed the contemporary art. I think the last time I saw anything that wasn't at least 100 years old was in London so very nice to see a bit of a change. It was all so thought provoking and confusing or maybe that was just the mood I was in.

Look a hill in San Gimignano. Of course I climbed up it. Once again what did I find at the top....you guessed it, another random street....but this one had stores on it so I checked a few things out.

I then headed back to the hotel and took a well needed nap. I really miss taking naps. Seems like I have been missing out on those a lot lately. You know me, if I have to choose between sleeping and eating I will choose sleeping everytime. But eventually I did have to get up and eat. Amazing the change a few hours can make. There seemed to be no one left in town once the sun started to go down other than those of us who were sleeping there. I grabbed some food and some wine right out front on the hotel since that is the main centre of the town.

I am very glad to see that they seem to recycle everywhere in Italy.

The nights are certainly starting to cool down these days. I have had to start wearing a jacket at night but it is still great. I am sure it is getting ready to snow back home so whatever.
Tomorrow I shall tour on 2 fronts, those few things right outside my hotel and those outside the walls of this small town.
Julie

No comments: