Travel from Pamukkale to Selcuk, Turkey
I found this sign funny considering the number of stray dogs that wander around Turkey.
So I had a bit of an eventful night as the toilet in my room broke…and I mean literally........I actually pulled a piece of it off….and they couldn’t fix it so I had to switch rooms just before midnight…which is probably ok since I was not going to sleep before midnight anyways. (Sorry that was a long sentence). Once that was settled though I actually had a pretty good sleep. The new room was much warmer than the original one.
A few of the ruins you will find at the Hierapolis.
Anyways, getting into Hierapolis proved to be slightly difficult…for me anyways, as I nearly killed myself slipping down a set of wet stairs. You will be happy to know that I was completely unharmed so I don’t need to sue (look, I have been living in the US long enough to add that sentence to my vocabulary) and it did not affect my day at all.
Yes... the group posing for a picture.....so unlike us. This one we took with camera timers so everyone (including Ergun) could be in it.
Just looking at this picture makes me sick.
I was still feeling a little hesitant to hang out up there after my experience in Aspendos but I did manage to take a few pictures and even looked down once or twice. This theatre would have held over 12,000 people. It really was spectacular.
Me hanging out with some of the ruins. I think these were both taken in the necropolis.
One of the main streets in Hierapolis.
Taking a look at the view. I didn't stand there for long.
I know it looks like snow but I assure you it is not.
Liezel and Paul negotiating the trip down the hill.
The group at the top of the Cotton Castle.
Eventually we all made it down the hill, although it certainly took a few of us a lot longer than some others (I was in the slow group along with Sam, Paul, Eva and Liezel and have no problems with that).
Once down the hill we made a stop for lunch (I assure you we are not going hungry) and then it was off to see some more ruins. This time it was at Afrodisias. It was a grand site but a little run down compared to some of the others we have seen and have yet to see. However the stadium was top notch. It would have held around 30,000 people although it is hard to believe that by just looking at it. I don’t think the seats had cup holders back then either.
If I am remembering correctly with was also called Hadrian's Gate. I found all kinds of things named after him.
Here are some of the remains of the Hadrianic Baths. It was built in the early 2nd century AD. It was eventually dedicated to Emeror Hadrian in 117-38 AD.
Me hanging out with a few more of the ruins.
A look at the theatre. No visit to ruins is complete without a trip to the theatre.
The view from the top of the ruins.
We also made a stop at the Afrodisias Museum. Of course it is full of artefacts found in the area. Lots of items very similar to what I have seen in other museums but it is always worth a little visit.
A few of the statues in the museum.
Another one of the statues in the museum. This one is not complete (the rider is missing) but part of his leg is there.
I still find this one interesting to look at.
No comments:
Post a Comment