Travel from Selcuk to Pergamum Turkey
Some of the ruins in Pergamum.
Well I woke up feeling awesome today but it is my own fault and there was a bunch of Turkey to see today so I cannot even complain. The day started with a 2.5 hour drive to Pergamum. I tried to sleep a bit but that was just not happening. I guess I deserve that. We actually got to our destination and hotel in the daylight and then set out to explore the town.
The amazing view from the Acropolis in Pergamum.
Pergamum is a cute little place with a population of about 58,000. We headed to the Acropolis to check it out. As we learned in Greece, Acropolis is the name of the area of land and of course it is on top of a mountain. Lucky for me though I did not actually have to walk up as Ekrem drove. We got a great view of the city from there. A few other things to see up there but a pretty run down set of ruins. The Altar of Zeus is a highlight…..except that the Altar itself is in Berlin but you can see where it was.
Some of the temple (of Athena I think) that is still standing.
At one point a few of us (Paul, Sam, Eva, Liezel and myself) became separated from the group and actually got lost. It took a few minutes but we did eventually get back with the group. I think the 5 of us are going to have to stop hanging out as we seem to hold up the group.
We look hungry and scared don't we? We were seriously yelling for help but the wind was too strong and no one could hear us.....no one.
I'm smiling but you notice I am not looking down.
Our last stop of the day was at Asclepion which in reality is an ancient medical centre. Yes that is right, I was back in the hospital.......again. Interesting though because if it was thought that someone might not survive, they would not be admitted. That way the appearance that the doctors who doing great things would not be ruined. At the site you can also see the remains of several temples, a theatre, a sacred well and of course the bath.
Hanging out...taking in a little of Asclepion.
Treatments included things like massage, mud baths, the use of herbs and ointments and drinking sacred water. Diagnosis was often by dream analysis. I am pretty sure I have met some doctors that still diagnose that way.
We were also able to see the portion of the hospital were the mentally ill would be kept. There were underground corridors and many covered sections. No one would be able to see these patients and the patients would not be able to see anyone either. I guess it was all part of thier "treatment".
Uh oh...Liezel, Eva and Paul wandering together again....good thing we didn't get lost this time.
Once again some of the boys...posing....or something like that. Seriously, sometimes it's like Paul and Winston are one person.
We met this little sheep during our visit. The man walking him around had been raising him for years. He is marked (and I mean the sheep) because he is going to be sacrificed for the feast.
Anyway, eventually we made it back to the hotel and I took a much needed nap. It was a very nice day so we actually took the short walk down the hill for Asclepion instead of driving.
Me trying to pet the baby donkey. He was really cute but not so sure about people. I think the owner was a little worried that he would bite me. The donkey was just so cute so I had to say hi.
Winston's new friend. I think Paul was jealous.



No comments:
Post a Comment