Saturday, January 24, 2009

Vienna....that's in Austria

Saturday, December 6 and Sunday December 7, 2008
Travel from Prague, Czech Republic to Vienna and in Vienna, Austria
Well once I finally got out of bed, (and Brent and his little guy Charlie certainly helped), I decided I better get myself together, get packed and get on a train to Vienna. I had the schedule so I knew what time trains left and the goal was to make a 1330 train. Well that was actually Plan B but there was no way I was making Plan A that left at 1023. Anyway, once I got packed and in a cab and over to the train station and a bought a train ticket (using up some of the final Czech dollars I had) I headed to McDonalds for some hangover repair. It was nice.
When the train arrived I was obviously still tired as I missed all the reserved seat signs and had to move a couple times but eventually did find a very nice spot in a compartment with one other girl. We both stretched out and slept most of the trip. We were only joined by one other man for about 30 minutes and then he got off again.
Once I arrived in Vienna I grabbed the train schedule for Salzburg (as that will be my next destination) and then grabbed a cab to my hotel. I must say that I have been very, very lazy after my 15 days on tour in Turkey and then the 5 days in Prague. I really have not had to do too much planning the last little bit so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I only found a hotel in the morning before I left Prague. It was a little ways out and was very new so some cab drivers had a hard time finding it (believe it or not I was actually giving them directions……what’s that about?). Anyway, once I got checked in and did some laundry and all that fun stuff, I headed into the city centre of Vienna. I took a cab this first night although I would figure out the very good transit system the next day, to the Christmas market.

Vienna's City Hall.

It was very pretty and very crowded and very festive and all that fun stuff. It was right out front of the Rathaus (city hall) and the front of the building has actually been turned into a giant advent calendar. So much fun.

Another shot of city hall and a few of the decorations.

Eventually it was back to the hotel so I could get some more sleep and then head out to explore the city in the morning.

It really is too bad because I really did want to camp in Vienna.....in December.

When the morning arrived (that’s Sunday in case you have lost track…I know I usually do), I had no real plan as to what I would do or see as Vienna has so much to offer and I just did not have the time. I decided to set out on a bit of a self walking tour to check out some architecture. I found my way over to the metro station and found what I had originally thought….it would be extremely easy to get around by train and tram.

So I headed into the city centre again and stopped by the neo-gothic style Rathaus again. It looked good at night all lit up for Christmas but it was hard to see all the detail in the dark.

The Christmas market was not nearly as busy during the day so I shopped a bit……but didn’t buy anything. From there it was across the street to the 19th Century Burg theatre.

And I had to make a stop at the Greek-revival style Parliament building, which was also hosting its very own Christmas market. So yes I shopped a little more....but still did not buy anything.

I am not sure what the name of this building was but I just liked the detail on this ceiling. I am sure it was some sort of government building.

Then I made my way over to St. Stephen’s Cathedral (Stephansdom). Really would be hard to miss this place. Of course I did visit Sunday morning and church was in session so I could not freely wander but did get a glimpse and took a couple pictures.

Inside the Cathedral. Really was amazing.

I also got to see the grooves on the one side of the church that were once used to regulate and standardized the exact measurements of a loaf of bread. At least that is what I am told they were used for.

I found this fountain pretty random. It is on the backside of the Hofburg.

A closer look at that fountain. This guy looks really angry.

I also happened to find Karntner Strasse, which is home to all the high end designer stores. I am very lucky that they were all closed….plus I want to go shopping when I get to Paris (I think I mentioned that) so hopefully I will still have some cash when I get there. I was also going to head to a museum (I know, so unlike me), but there were lines everywhere and I did not feel like spending any time in a queue. So I opted for more walking, even though it was very cold and rainy (no snow in Vienna just rain).

I made my way over to The Hofburg or the Imperial Palace. It continues to be home to the office of the President of Austria and a major congress centre. The original building is from the 13th century but like most, it has been added to several times. The Vienna Boys Choir also performs here often.

Some random ruins that I found outside the Hofburg. No signs that I could read so I am not sure what they are but they really looked out of place.

I then hopped on Tram line #1 to take a little tour. It goes around the ring road and gave me a much better layout of the city. I was also able to see a few more things before heading back to the hotel to rest and warm up a bit.

This is out front of the Museum...which museum? Not sure. There were a lot of them.

A little later though I headed back into the city centre for some dinner. For this entire trip I have been trying to get away from the main roads and find some little restaurants and tonight I hit the jack-pot.

One of the main streets I could have eaten on.....but I didn't.

I found this little place called Biem Hofmeister on a random street (Brdunerstabe 7 if you are ever in town). The building use to be the imperial riding stables of an Empress but has been a restaurant for over 100 years. At one point they decided they would only sell Budweiser beer but not anymore. In 1919 the grandparents of the current owners took over and the restaurant took its current name in 1998. It really was great (hence the reason why I am mentioning it here). The food was great, the atmosphere was great and they never tried to rush me out even though the restaurant was really full and they probably could have used the table. One of my top meals thus far on this trip.

Not sure what either of these things are. I found them when I was wandering around....in the dark. I probably could not find them again if I tried.

So I will be off to Salzburg in the morning. Still not sure what I will do there but I will figure that out when I get there.

Julie

No comments: