I finally found Blue Smoke. People talk about this place all the time (good BBQ or something) but I had no idea where it was. Today was the first time I actually walked all the way around the inside of the stadium so found all kinds of fun things.
A look from right/centre field just after you cross the bridge. Yes, there is a bridge in right/centre field.
Well it was Sunday again and I had nothing else going on (although I should have done a little bit of packing for my trip back to Canada) so I headed back to Citifield to catch a ball game. It was a bit of a risk (they were calling for rain ) but I thought I would take a chance. It of course was not a random game. The Phillies were in town to play the Mets and former Mets pitcher (and there is a really good chance we will be seeing him in the Hall of Fame real soon) Pedro Martinez was on the mound and I was curious to see him pitch.
Pedro!
Of course we all remember the Phillies from the 1993 World Series when Joe Carter hit it deep over the left field wall to win The Blue Jays' second World Series. Of course with all the Phillies fans in town I was tempted to wear my Joe Carter jersey but actually find in really obnoxious when people wear shirts for teams that aren't even playing (I'm looking at you Yankees fans) so I left it at home. Yes, you're right, I did wear a Cubs hat to a Mets/Cardinals game but hats are different.
My view was perfect until these guys sat down. I then moved a few seats over and got my perfect view back.
Anyway, it was a very interesting game.....not a pitchers duel by any stretch but really no one expected one (except this moron sitting behind me who took the under on today's game and probably lost $300......so stupid). Pedro has just recently come out of retirement and the Mets pitcher Oliver Perez is not really the ace of the staff. So in short most of us at the game were expecting lots of hits and lots of runs....and that we got with a few other unexpected items. Here's a rundown.....it actually was a historical day:
Gary Sheffield. Yes, I posted a picture of him on my last Mets' post but he is a fan favourite.
1. Mets' pitcher Oliver Perez was pulled in the first inning....in the middle of an at-bat. He threw 3 balls to Phillies' pitcher Martinez when Jerry Manuel gave him the hook. For non-baseball fans out there, Managers usually let the pitcher finish with the batter before they pull him.
2. The Mets scored a lead-off inside the park home run in the bottom of the first inning. This was the first inside the park home run hit at the new stadium (CitiField in case you forgot).
3. Phillies' manager Charlie Manuel was thrown out for arguing a call. Ok, that isn't historical but always fun.
The argument that lead up to "Yerrrr outta here!!!!"
4. Phillies' second baseman Eric Bruntlett completed an unassisted triple play to end the game. Just for reference unassisted triple plays are very rare (there have only been 15 in MLB history) and to have it end a game is even rarer (this is the first time it has happened in the National League).A random picture of Ryan Howard....just to break up the written commentary.
5. This was the first game since July 4, 1988 that an inside the park home run and a triple play occurred in the same game.And on another random note, both managers have the same last name....even spelled the same. They are not related to each other.
So the rain held off. The baseball was exciting and I got to be a part of a little bit of history. A nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
1 comment:
Great pictures! Sounds like a great time!
Post a Comment