Monday, September 07, 2009

Wait...What am I Eating?

Friday September 4th and Sunday September 6th, 2009
New York, New York

I was excited about this weekend, for a couple reasons. The first was that it was the long weekend...so I had 3 days to get my suitcases unpacked (yes from my trip to Canada) before I had to head back to work. The second was that it meant my buddy Winston was going to be in town. Now I know what you are asking. Who is this Winston and why does that name sound familiar? Winston was one of The Nine....and I mean the nine tourists who traveled around Turkey in a 12 passenger van together for 15 days. Winston you may recall, was the lone American in the group, and he made a trip out from Seattle to see me......ok to see NYC but I just happened to be here.

Ahhhhh, there's Winston....looking very impressed with my picture taking. He should look happier. The only reason I am in Times Square is because he was visiting and needed to see it.

So you are probably thinking what my title has to do with Winston being here. Well Winston's Mm was also visiting and the two of them introduced me to some great food. Problem was, Winston's Mo did some of the ordering, so I have no idea what it was. It was so good though. I should have had someone write it down so I can order it again. I think if I needed to I could probably find the restaurants again (good thing Winston likes to go to restaurants and not just order-in like I do.) The restaurant we found Sunday night I had actually walked by many, many times as it is next to the hotel I use to stay at on my previous visits to the city. It was always busy so it was no surprise that they served very good Thai food. I will have to remember that place when others come to visit.

Winston pointing out something important.


Ok it probably was not this McDonald's but Winston does kind of have a one track mind when it comes to food.

Of course we did not just eat for two days (although with Winston it actually would be pretty easy to do that.) Winston also happened to find The Brazilian Street Festival on Sunday. Winston's Mom headed to Macy's and we headed to find what kind of wonderful food and music we could find.

A few of the street decorations. I like giant balloons.

The street band and some dancing? I don't question what Brazilians do because they always seem to be having a lot of fun.

Yeah.....that is a lot of Brazilians.

So we did find some good meat on a stick. I found chocolate covered every things and Winston ate his fill of all kinds of things. Eventually we went back to his hotel, collected his Mom and headed off.......to eat dinner at the already mentioned Thai restaurant. It was soooo good (did I mention that?)

And then it was off for one more wander through Times Square which included a stop by the Hershey store,

That's a lot of chocolate sauce.

and a quick run through the M&M store which happens to sit across the street.


Winston and his Mom. Yes there is an escalator in the M&M store.

The Canadian themed M&Ms. If didn't like Smarties so much more I might have bought some. Of course if I really want some, I can always go back.

Anyway, our night eventually had to end as we both had busy holiday Mondays planned. Winston and his Mom had to head back to Seattle and I had a date with the US Open. Always nice to see a friend. Hopefully I will make it back to the West Coast and a trip to Seattle sometime in the near future.

Julie

No comments: