Victoria, British Columbia
Of course I couldn't very well make a trip to Vancouver Island without stopping in to visit Bonnie and Barry in Nanaimo. So on Sunday, that is what I did. Of course there was a BBQ and gift opening in Qualicum Beach first (couldn't possibly leave without one final meal) but then it was down the highway to Nanaimo.
Of course there was no rest once I got there because Barry and I immediately headed off to the local golf course to play a round. Ok, we went to the Par 3 Pitch and Putt but since golfing is not something I do that often.....I assure you that is big enough. We were only going to play the first 9 holes but things went so well we decided to play all 18. I did a good job......pared every hole. Ok, ok, that's only if you count my putts but I did get slightly better (and I did par one hole and Barry is my witness). And the weather was sooooo nice so it was a great way to spend the afternoon. After that it was some very yummy Fish and Chips at a very authentic English Pub, a trip through some more photos from my trip to Europe (we are still not done but I am sure we only have a few more countries left) and then it was off to bed because we had to be up early on Monday morning.
On Monday morning we headed off nice and early (ok early is a relative term) to Victoria. Our destination was a Change in Command Ceremony aboard the HMCS Yellowknife. Now I might have mentioned in an earlier post that Barry retired from the Navy a few years ago....so this ceremony was obviously not for him. It was in fact for Lieutenant-Commander Grant Bannister, who just so happens to be Bonnie's cousin.
This is Grant....while giving his speech.
Grant has been in the Naval Reserves for a long time but is now transferring to the Regular Force so command of his ship was transferred to Lieutenant-Commander Angus Fedoruk (no....we don't know him). I had never been to a ceremony such as this before so once I knew my addition to the guest list had been approved, I jumped at the chance to attend.
Me with the HMCS Yellowknife.
Of course I was quite worried that I would not be dressed appropriately (it took a few emails but I felt I was prepared) or was taking pictures of things I shouldn't take pictures of but what I really should have been worried about was the fact that I spent the first 10 minutes referring to everything as boats when they were clearly ships (you have to get the lingo right....I have been told that "boat" actually refers to a submarine and that was clearly NOT what I was standing on).On board the HMCS Yellowknife
So the ceremony itself, was pretty simple. Everyone got to make speeches, there were some Naval words exchanged, the crew was saluted (I am apparently getting old because most of them seriously looked about 12) and as expected command of the boat (I mean ship) was changed. It was very neat to be a part of.
Ok the guy in front does not look 12......the 2 guys behind him...seriously can't be older than 13.
It was then off to the reception and no finger sandwiches here. No the Navy does it right....meat balls, quiche, nachos and cheese, pretty much everything in-between and of course an assortment of desserts that could rival any pastry shop (it was really yummy). Oh and free drinks (did I mention that).....and apparently I would fit in because I am told that Gin Tonics.......that's a Navy drink.
Bonnie was very impressed with the size of the shrimp.
I can tell you...Bonnie and I had a good time. I can only assume everyone else did too.
I really liked the random piles of hats everywhere.
Yes...I really liked them (I have like 4 other pictures of piles of hats).
Of course like everything, the festivities had to come to an end, Bonnie and Barry had to continue on with their day and I had a ferry to catch. I was very happy that they let me tag along for this event.....and they even answered my constant random questions about things on the boat (I mean ship). Another great day and another successful trip to the island.
Of course once I got back to the mainland there were a few things to do and then it was back to NYC. Certainly a nice break from the big city.....but of course there is still more things to see and do once I get back.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment