Friday, December 18, 2009

A Merry Christmas Tree

New York, New York

Looking back across the skating rink at 5th avenue from under the tree.

It is the Christmas Season and although I am pretty much done celebrating the holiday already I thought I better make an attempt to embrace the season while here in New York. That meant a visit to one of New York's most famous Christmas landmarks. And no I don't mean the windows at Macy's......seriously you couldn't pay me a million dollars to be near that place this time of year. I am of course referring to the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center. Now I made a promise to Heather months ago that I would go and take pictures of the tree for her so here they are.

Here it is. As seen above the Rockefeller skating rink.

Me with the tree. I am very glad that we had Christmas in November so I didn't have to stress all of December. I can't lie.....I was a little disappointed with the tree. Compared to the National Christmas Tree in DC this tree is......well it's pretty average.

Just to remind you...this is the National Christmas tree in DC that I visited in December 2007.

Yeah, I am wearing the same outfit. I guess some things stay the same year after year.

But the atmosphere was holidayee (yeah,it's a word.......now) and I almost didn't notice all the annoying tourists (ok, we all know that is a lie but I am tyring to be positive here). The trees origins go back to the Great Depression during the construction of Rockefeller Center. Things were a little more modest back then. Now the tree is chosen by a tree scout who travels by helicopter to find the perfect tree (usually from Connecticut or Vermont or Ohio or where ever but once they even went to Ottawa to find one). It is decorated with 8 kilometres of lights (about 5 miles). It is usually a Norway Spruce, which funny enough is not native to North American but you can find them almost anywhere these days. It actually travels from it's location at night by police escort to Rockefeller.

A few of the other ornaments around Rockefeller.

So although I dislike the touristy nature of the tree, I am a traditionalist and love the fact that after all these years, the tree is still present. If you are in the city during the holidays you have to check it out.....if only for a few minutes.

Julie

No comments: