Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Snow I've Been Waiting For

New York, New York

This is the view from the 8th floor at Metropolitan Hospital. Those are garbage trucks lined up on the street. Here in NYC they throw plows on the front of the garbage trucks to remove the snow. So in reality these are snowplows just waiting to head out and remove the snow.

Well I saw the snow in Vernon, and I saw the snow in Banff but I have been patiently (well rather impatiently) awaiting the first real snow fall in New York City. I had all these romantic images in my head of horse drawn sleigh rides in Central Park and the lights of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree sparkling in the snowflakes. You can tell I am not from New York because all my coworkers could think about was ankle deep snow, the buses not running and people slipping and sliding all over the sidewalks. I am glad I ignored them.

Anyway, you couldn't turn on the TV yesterday without hearing about this big storm that was battering the East Coast. As it was to be my first snow storm in New York I was a little excited. It started to snow while I was at work yesterday and I can't lie, when I walked out of the hospital towards the bus stop I found myself looking up and smiling as the snowflakes fell all around me. I do believe I was the only one.

This is what I woke up to this morning. These are the cars on W 86th Street just outside my apartment.

My walk through Central Park.

I can't lie......I loved the walk through Central Park. I loved walking across Park Ave. The temperature was not that cold (around -10 C or 14 F) and the city seemed to be silent. I never imagined that New York City could be so quiet. All I really know is that I found myself saying "It doesn't get much better than this".

This is Park Ave and trust me you will never see it this empty again.....that is until the next snow storm.

Julie

No comments: