Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dinner and Show.......Too Bad the Show was Us

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012


As you know I've worked in a few different hospitals so am more than familiar with the orientation process that normally takes place. At King Faisal however, things work just a little bit differently. Most of that has to do with the fact that when coming Riyadh, you don't just need to be orientated to the hospital and the job, you also need to be orientated to the culture, lifestyle and the expectations.

There is a great group of nurse volunteers who help with the whole process of getting settled. During the first week here, they take us shopping to a few different locations, teach us about using the Hala Limos (that's the cab company the hospital has made arrangements with to move us from place to place........we still have to pay but it is very cheap and for the most part we know they won't rip us off. Many speak decent English but at minimum know the name of the hospital in English. The same cannot be said for street cabs) and took us out to a restaurant for some Saudi food.

The front of the restaurant, Najd Village. Just like everywhere else this restaurant is segregated (a section for single men and another one for families and single women) so we were not allowed to enter through the front door. We used a side door that took us up the stairs.....away from the prying eyes of any single (or simply unaccompanied) men.

Inside out little eating room. Once in here we were allowed to remove our abayas.....even though our waiters were male. One of those weird little rules (just like I can hang out at a pool in a bikini with men.....as long as those men are married and accompanied by their family).

So what does a Saudi meal consist of? Well it starts out with Arabic coffee and dates. I think we all know I hate coffee but I had try this stuff because I'm told it is so good. It tasted like coffee to me.....but stronger. Not a fan......but the dates were good.

Enjoying my coffee and dates.

From there a whole plethora of food dishes were brought out to us.

A look at the spread placed before us. Of course we were sitting on the floor. It was all very, very good.

So what was on the menu? A whole lot of a stuff. Lots of rice as well as bread and then there was chicken, beef and camel and a few vegetables (not many though) and hummus and a few other things and it was all very tasty. I gladly took a bit home with me and ate it for more than a few days.

A few of the other girls...Kristen and Julienne (from Newfoundland) and Carol from Ireland.

Once we finished dinner, a bunch of us decided to go shopping. A few of the girls were in need of cell phones and Hiddo (one of those girls) was told by her brother-in law (who lives in Riyadh) that he knew just the place for us to get them. I did not need one (the Blackberry is still alive and kicking and working fabulously over here) but thought I would check it out.

So we took cabs to this street which happens to be about a block long, lined on both sides by little cell phone stores. I was hoping there would be other electronics there too but no such luck. Now as you can imagine, it was very clear that we were not from there. We were close to the only women in the area and were travelling in a pack of about 11. The guys in the store we quite excited to see us all walking by....especially since we appeared to have no idea what we were doing.

In case I didn't mention before, the weekend here in Saudi Arabia is Thursday and Friday which makes Wednesday night like a Friday night anywhere else. The street was full of cars and men and more than a few were taking some double looks at this group of women wandering up and down the sidewalks apparently lost.

Carol and I actually entered into the mall  to check out a few stores and it was clear that every eye was on us. On our way out Carol and I kind of looked at each thinking maybe we should not have been in there at all. I guess in the end though if we were in the wrong spot they would have told us.....plus we spent money so they can't be mad at that.

It was a very entertaining and frustrating experience. I remember now why I don't travel in large packs of women. We were kind of all over the place. Eventually a few of us caught a cab back to the hospital....while a few more shopped a bit longer. In the end no one bought any phones but we all made it home safely and we found a new part of Riyadh.

All part of the adventure. I have a feeling I will be saying that a lot over the next year.

Julie

No comments: