Medical City Village, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Friday, January 13th, 2012
The fact that today is Friday the 13th seems to be totally lost on me. I usually really like Friday the 13th. Of course Friday is the end of my weekend and not the beginning so maybe it felt a little off.
Anyway, I thought it was time that I showed you my new home......MCV 46, Unit E. It is a cute little 2 story townhouse with 3 bedrooms and 2 and a half bathrooms. With just the 2 of us here, there is plenty of space and we don't have to share a bathroom. A big bonus to having an empty bedroom is that both Catharine and I use it to store things in. Not sure what we'll do if someone else moves in.
Medical City Village is technically not on King Faisal Hospital property. It is just on the other side of the road but still regulated and cared for like hospital property (there is a tunnel we can use to walk to and from the hospital). The fences kind of make it hard for you to remember exactly where you are but I certainly like the separation from the hospital itself. I don't hear a lot of noise.....except 5 times a day when it's time for the Call to Prayer. During the day there are a lot of maintenance men around but they don't bother us and we don't bother them. I can run around in my work out gear as much as I want. It's a nice abaya free zone most of the time.
Medical City Village is technically not on King Faisal Hospital property. It is just on the other side of the road but still regulated and cared for like hospital property (there is a tunnel we can use to walk to and from the hospital). The fences kind of make it hard for you to remember exactly where you are but I certainly like the separation from the hospital itself. I don't hear a lot of noise.....except 5 times a day when it's time for the Call to Prayer. During the day there are a lot of maintenance men around but they don't bother us and we don't bother them. I can run around in my work out gear as much as I want. It's a nice abaya free zone most of the time.
Here's a little look.
The front door. I know not much to look at.
My bedroom. Not a bad size. It is actually pretty bright during the day but the curtains are nice and heavy so when I work nights I can keep the room totally dark.
My bathroom. It is the smaller of the 2 main bathrooms upstairs but that's ok. Catharine was here first so gets the bigger one. Plus how much time do you spend in the bathroom? She has a bathtub but is far more likely to use it than I am so it makes sense.
The view from the front door. A very welcoming place.
The abaya closet.......very important item in any Saudi home.
The living room and dining room. Notice our big TV. If I get up in the wee hours of the morning I can even watch hockey on it.
Our kitchen. It could be a little bigger but provides all the essentials so we take what we get.
The back patio. It's a little warm during the day to hang out there but quite nice once the sun goes down.
Our cat. No we don't feed him or anything but he continually shows up here so I call him ours. We are taking name suggestions.
Our perfect view of some of the barbed wire that surrounds us. Sorry not allowed to take pictures of the gates but I can assure you there is a guy sitting there with a very.....very large gun. I can't however promise that the gun works. There are 2 levels you have to get through to gain entry and they are protected by the Saudi National Guard (the King's Army). I'm not sure how much is actual function and how much is just show but I am confident that I am safe here (not that I'm worried).
And that is my new home. Not a bad little spot. There is a large pool and gym within a 3 minute walk, and it is about 7 minutes to my hospital unit so pretty perfect location. Can't really complain.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment