Monday, March 12, 2007

Leaving Harrisburg, but heading to CT

As I settle into my new little apartment in Hamden I have the time to look back on my time in Harrisburg. It was a wonderful 6 months and I will miss everyone a lot. My time in Harrisburg marked a few milestones for me (most of which you can read about fully illustrated on this blog if you haven't already)......my first 2 trips to Chicago, my first trip to Philadelphia, New York City and Balitimore, my first christmas away from home, my first US thanksgiving, my first Victoria Secret purchase (sorry boys no pictures), the longest I have ever spent away from home and my first trip to Connecticut (I am sure a few of you will take the time to remind me of the few I have missed.)



No I did not fit everything in my car... I did a much better job packing on the way out here, but Tara brought her car too so we threw a few things in there for the ride.

I made it to Connecticut safe and sound and in pretty good time too. Tara and I had a relatively uneventful drive although we did have a quick little detour through Axe-murderer territory New Jersey. I know you want an explanation for that one. Well we had our route all mapped out and we knew what highway numbers to follow, however we did not take notice of the fact that we would arrive at a point where the road would split and we would have to choose north or south. I chose north (Tara was following me) because it just felt right (and it turned out to be just that) however we needed to check the map to be sure. We decided to follow some signs to food and lodging which we figured would be just off the interstate however it was not and so we drove through this very dark suburb in New Jersey for a while. We could see all these unbelievably large houses (I’m guessing worth a few million each) however there were no street lights and no people and although neither off us wanted to keep driving so far off the interstate (we kept in touch by cell phone) neither of us really wanted to stop (because it looked like we were driving through a horror movie. I half expected to find a wax museum at the end of the road – go rent House of Wax, the original or the remake, if you don’t get that comment).

What did we find at the end of the road?….Starbucks!!!! Yes we were saved by $5.00 lattes. We then checked the map and made great time the rest of the way to Hamden (although I must say Tara made much better time heading home).

I did put Tara to work before I let her head home. But why not she did pretty much pack everything before I left Harrisburg so I knew she would do a great job unpacking. She also organzied all the clothes in my closet by colour and sleeve length and all these other things. As of right now it is still perfectly organized.


I have made it through my first day of orientation (if I have to get fit tested for the N95 respirator one more time I may just have to leave the profession) which was not very exciting. The hospital is very large (got lost a few times already but don’t worry I will get lost a few more times just for good measure) and as the name suggests (Hospital of Saint Raphael) it is a catholic hospital run by nuns (they don’t wear the penguin suits anymore though....boo). They are very inner city and apparently open their doors to everyone so it should be good. If not…well it is only 13 weeks....even I can handle that!!

Julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's that organized closet treating you? ;-) Hope things are going well up in CT. Talk to you soon!!

Anonymous said...

hey chick, well, I'm a married fool now but had a great time in the carribean. hope things are great in conneticut. are you sporting those great barbie bandaids?