Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas in Washington

Christmas Time 2007

Well this Christmas I took a very different approach to the holiday than last year....mostly because I was going to be moving right before Christmas. I did not do very much decorating, didn't buy a tree and didn't do any Christmas shopping until after Christmas. I did try to take in some of the holiday fun in the DC area though.

The only decorating I did....my Christmas Chair. I know a far cry from last year's perfect christmas tree but it did the trick.

The National Christmas tree is a must. I wanted to head down the night it was lit but had to work so checked it out another night instead. It was neat to see. Even though it was very warm that night (not even a hint of snow), the atmosphere was very festive with childrens choirs singing carols, lots of families out and about and of course a giant Christmas tree just across the street from the White House. All around the base of the large tree there are toy trains and around the walkway there are smaller trees, representing all the US states and territories. Each tree is decorated with something that represents that state.

Some of the little trains surrounding the tree.

Me with the tree and the trains.

Of course from DC, I headed to Harrisburg, PA to spend Christmas with Tara and her family again. It was a lot of fun. Christmas Eve we headed to a local recreation centre where we went ice skating and had some food and drink and hung out. Christmas day I basically followed Tara from one family member's house to another. I can't remember the last time I ate (and drank so much). It was a wonderful time. Made the distance between me and the family seem a little bit smaller.

Julie

No comments: