New York, New York
Maybe I should check out a taping so I can learn some domestic skills. Ok maybe that would be a complete waste of my time.
Well I finally wandered my way to the Westside of Manhattan today. Ok I have been there before.....I found the West Village a few saturday nights ago (but I was in a cab and someone else had the address so really I was just along for the ride). Why was I heading west....to check out a museum of course. Well to be more correct, I was heading to an Art Gallery. They really are not the same thing.
I wandered my way to the Gagosian Gallery which happens to be located in Chelsea. Very, very different part of town from where I am living and working. The Gallery itself is in what can only be described as a warehouse but when you walk inside it opens up into an amazing little gallery. Of course I could take no pictures once inside so you just have to imagine all those TV shows and movies you have seen and know that they are very true to life.
I walked past this place the first time not knowing what was inside. If it wasn't for the giant Picasso sign, I would never have known. It helped that people were coming in and out as well because the door is in no way marked as an entrance to anything.
The exhibit that I travelled across town to see.....Picasso: Mosqueteros. The exhibit focuses on Picasso's late works and some very rarely seen works from the years 1962 - 1972. Picasso died in 1973 so these were some of his final works. It was an amazing exhibit. Of course I have had the pleasure of seeing Picasso's work in the past (in the museums in DC) but it was very interesting to see an entire exhibit dedicated to him. I got to see a wide range of his works including large, wall size paintings to small sketches. You could see the evolution of is work as his world changed over those 10 years. Really neat.
Random Chelsea. I love this old building next to a totally renovated one. Both look out of place yet in New York, really they both belong.
And what can you say about Chelsea? Well it is a great area of the city. There are many more art galleries in the area which I need to check out. Not all of them seem to have shows right now but I have found myself the Chelsea Gallery website and will be making a list of places to visit. I am sure I could spend a day just wandering from gallery to gallery. I am told there is no entrance fees to any of these shows so I guess it is possible to find some cheap entertainment in this city.
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment